We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Random Questions for our trip

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Random Questions for our trip

HI everyone,

We're flying out tomorrow from Toronto in hopes of seeing the cherry trees (We've seen all the historic buildings). I've read they aren't in bloom yet which is sad since last easter we were too late and this year too early! We're staying at L'enfant plaza hotel.

Friday

Nat. History Museum

Post Office

Normstorm (my mom has a giftcard lol) at Friendship Station

Georgetown - Explore shops & Area (Are shops open on Good Friday?) - Any recommended eats (casual // cheap)?

Saturday

Tidal Basin + Kite Fest.

Shopping at Macy's & Explore Penn Quarter

Dinner at Matchbox Chinatown

Sunday

Air & Space Museum

---

Other questions:

Any recommended cheap casual eats around National Mall?

Transportation: We'll be walking but Georgetown and Normstrom might be a little far... How's the taxi fares? There is four of us and takin the subway is almost the same cost I think...

Any tips welcomed!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
856 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Random Questions for our trip

There's a bus that goes up Wisconsin ave from Georgetown all the way to Friendship Heights metro. That said, there isn't a Nordstrom at Friendship Heights, it's a Nordstrom Rack, make sure you want to go there and the gift card will work. For the actual Nordstrom you'll have to go to the Pentagon City mall, also right off a metro, but in Virginia.

There's pretty much nothing to eat around National Mall, as it's a protected park land. But a few blocks away you have Penn quarter, lots of options there (mostly chain) for cheap eats.

Not sure how exciting Penn quarter will be on saturday. I'd go to the National Portrait Gallery, which is amazing, but otherwise during the day that neighborhood will pretty quiet. Just some shops and lots of closed office buildings.

Everything is open on Friday, DC doesn't really do Easter. Georgetown has lots of mediocre overpriced food because the amount of tourists there, but when I need a quick lunch I usually go the Vietnamese place on M st, can't recall the name...There's also a 5 guys - burger and fries place - up on Wisconsin Ave.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Random Questions for our trip

Thanks! What's the difference between a Nordstrom vs. Nordstrom Rack...? Is it just an outlet version?

Good to know.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
856 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Random Questions for our trip

Yes, the Rack is a much much smaller outlet version.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,639 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Random Questions for our trip

While I haven't been to that particular location, I have gotten great deals at Nordstrom Racks in the past. Not only clothes, but housewares, which the normal Nordstrom does not sell.

WashingtonDC
Level Contributor
125 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Random Questions for our trip

After the Air and Space Museum, you can go to the American Indian Museum. They have a cafe with excellent food. It's not exactly cheap if you get an entree and sides, it could add up to $15 or so. But, they offer soups and sides a la carte. And it's a good location if you want to continue to explore another museum on the mall.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
288 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Random Questions for our trip

If you want both Nordstrom and Nordstroms Rack, go to Pentagon City on the metro. The stores are across the street from eachother. Nordstroms in Fashionn Center, and the other store just across the street next to Best Buy and Costco. Take the yellow or blue line metro to the mall. On Friday, look for the food trucks by the L'Enfant Metro for a great lunch. Tons of food options there on weekdays but you'll have to rely on other things over the weekend. Have lunch at the American Indian museum food court one day.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Random Questions for our trip

Thanks!! Yeah pentagon mall is def a better shopping area. While we are there... I've never seen the pentagon? Is there a quick glance or good photo spot of it?

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Random Questions for our trip

This is the menu of the cafeteria inside the National Museum of the American Indian, located on the east end of the National Mall

http://mitsitamcafe.com

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
288 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Random Questions for our trip

I don't know of any good photo spots. However. when you take the yellow or blue line metro, you'll have a nice view between the L'Enfant Station and Pentagon Station. The metro travels on a bridge across the river and you can see the monuments, the Pentagon, and lots of other nice things and snap a photo if you are parepared.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
201 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Random Questions for our trip

Only the yellow line goes across the river. The blue line goes under the river. If you're in Georgetown going to Pentagon City, blue line is the best. If you're downtown/Mall, yellow is fastest. When you cross the river, you can kind of see the Pentagon to the right off the direction the train is traveling.

Edited: 29 March 2013, 12:29