We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Son wants to Nationals players autographs. Suggestions?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
75 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Son wants to Nationals players autographs. Suggestions?

My 11 yr. old son's highlight for our DC trip next week is his day at the park. If he goes early, do you think he'd be able to get an autograph? Nationals fans...how hard is it?

Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Son wants to Nationals players autographs. Suggestions?

They have formal autograph days before select Sunday afternoon games called "Signature Sundays" where a couple of players are designated to sign autographs. You can find those days on their promotions schedule. On other days, if you can get down near the dugout before the games, such as during batting practice, the players might or might not sign autographs and you don't know who will be willing to do it or not. The players of the opposing team may also be willing to sign a few autographs. I sat with a family with children directly above the Nats bullpen at one game last year when the pitchers noticed the curious children peeping over the railing throughout the game and Drew Storen tossed up an autographed ball for the little boy in the family.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Son wants to Nationals players autographs. Suggestions?

I think they have to stop signing 1 hr before game time.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Son wants to Nationals players autographs. Suggestions?

My understanding is that the window prior to the game is from 90 minutes to 60 minutes prior to first pitch, but that players aren't necessarily signing prior to every game. They put up additional netting along the baselines starting with last season to deter some particularly aggressive autograph seekers, and since then I've heard signatures are harder to get prior to the game.

The best way to get signatures is now reportedly AFTER the game, if you can catch players heading from the stadium to the player parking lot (located outside the stadium between home plate and 1st base; I'm not sure exactly where one needs to stand or how long you need to wait after the game). It might be worth exploring if you are OK keeping your son up late. The way the game goes can impact the players' willingess to sign, so if it is a tough loss it might not be worth it.

Edited: 30 March 2013, 22:57
Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
75 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Son wants to Nationals players autographs. Suggestions?

Thanks everyone! WIsh him luck!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Son wants to Nationals players autographs. Suggestions?

Just wanted to say I found this to be an interesting and out-of-the-ordinary post! I enjoyed reading something new!

6. Re: Son wants to Nationals players autographs. Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2014, 05:16