We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long does it take to drive to Gettysburg from Alexandria

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How long does it take to drive to Gettysburg from Alexandria

I will be leaving early morning. I'm staying in Alexandria, by the 495. Mapquest says it's a 2 hour trip, 90 miles. I'm wondering about traffic though in the morning. I want to schedule a bus tour. I read recently that the road to Richmond was stop and go for hours and if the road to Gettysburg is the same, I need to know for booking purposes. Thanks,

jc

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,173 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long does it take to drive to Gettysburg from Alexandria

I think Mapquest is being rather optimistic.

I would either schedule an afternoon tour, so you don't have to leave so early and battle the traffic, or go up the night before, and not worry about traffic.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,156 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long does it take to drive to Gettysburg from Alexandria

Your route should take you down the George Washington Parkway to I-270 to Route 15. You will be traveling opposite to the morning traffic pretty much the entire way, although you may encounter some morning rush hour traffic along the GW Parkway.

I think your travel time will depend a lot on what you mean by "early". If you are leaving at 6am, then you should make it to Gettysburg in 2 hours or less. If you are leaving at 8am, I'd plan on a travel time closer to 2.5 hours.

DC
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How long does it take to drive to Gettysburg from Alexandria

The GW Parkway doesn't take you to 270. It takes you to the Beltway to 270, and therein lies some danger.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,156 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long does it take to drive to Gettysburg from Alexandria

Eric is correct--after you exit the GW Parkway, you are on I-495 (the Beltway) for approximately 4- 5 miles. This stretch could be congested, but I still think the travel times I have given you are good barring unforeseen problems like a major accident.

For road and traffic updates, you should listen to WTOP-FM 103.5. They have traffic updates every 10 minutes "on the 8's" (e.g. 6:08, 6:18, 6:28)

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How long does it take to drive to Gettysburg from Alexandria

Okay, thanks. I'll check the map for the danger spots on the route. I was thinking of getting a real early start because I only have one day there. Someone on the Gettysburg board suggested I drive the tour route myself, then stop in the town for lunch and then finish the route on my own. Sounds good, but I think I'd like to hear the stories from a local pro; hence the tour.

jc

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,156 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long does it take to drive to Gettysburg from Alexandria

Are you doing your Gettysburg tour with a Licensed Battlefield Guide? If not, that is what I would recommend in order to learn the most during your limited time there. The LBG will accompany you in your car (as passenger or even as driver, if you prefer) for two hours and can customize the tour for your areas of interest.

gettysburgtourguides.org/battlefieldtours.ht…

Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How long does it take to drive to Gettysburg from Alexandria

You could avoid the American Legion bridge (and 270 altogether) by heading out GW Parkway, then head South on 123 to 267-E (Dulles Toll Road) continuing on the Dulles Greenway (toll) to 15 North straight into Gettysburg. You would be against traffic the whole way and avoid the risk of congestion/delays at the American Legion bridge on I-495 and the I-270/I-495 intersection congestion. This route might be 10-15 miles longer but well worth losing the headaches of the beltway and 270.

And its actually a pretty scenic drive.

8. Re: How long does it take to drive to Gettysburg from Alexandria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2014, 06:16