We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation to Dulles (coming from Philadelphia)

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
108 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation to Dulles (coming from Philadelphia)

I'm flying out on July 4th (going to Armenia and then Russia; flying out of Philadelphia would have cost me a minimum of $400 more) and I haven't used IAD before. It looks like the most practical public transportation route uses Amtrak, the Orange Line, and then an airport bus; is this correct? And would the New Carrollton station be the best place to connect with the Metro since I'm coming out of Philadelphia?

I was wondering about Megabus, as one option, but wasn't sure where it stops in connection with getting on the Metro to hook up with the airport bus.

Also, anything I should be aware of with traveling in Washington on the 4th? The flight leaves at 2:45PM, so it'll be an early train or bus out of Philadelphia, I'm thinking. :)

I posted this originally in the Philadelphia forum (as I figured I'd get more Phila-centric postings) but they suggested that I post here.

Thanks for any info or hints!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation to Dulles (coming from Philadelphia)

You could get off at New Carrolton and take the Orange line to Roslyn to get the Metro bus. Or if you want a little less hassle but more expense you could take the Orange out to West Falls Church and get the Washington Flyer bus. It has room for luggage under the bus unlike the Metro bus which is a slightly altered regular street bus. Metro will be busy with the holiday but not crazy busy.

If you take Mega bus you would take the redline from Union Station and transfer to the Orange line as previously stated or you could transfer to the yellow line and get the Metro bus at L'Enfant Plaza.

Security can be nuts at Dulles so give yourself plenty of time. You might want to think about coming down the night before and getting a hotel near Dulles.

richmond
Level Contributor
905 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation to Dulles (coming from Philadelphia)

Do you own a car? If so you could drive down the day before and leave your car at an airport hotel if you stay the night. Google airport hotels with parking IAD.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
108 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation to Dulles (coming from Philadelphia)

Thanks for the information! I will look into an airport hotel the night before. I usually like to allow at least three hours of airport time for international flights; would I be wise to allow more than that, do you think?

Oh, and thanks for the hint, pghpeople, but...no car. (I live right in the city, a 52 second walk away from where I work, so I really don't need one, most of the time.)

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation to Dulles (coming from Philadelphia)

I am a little paranoid about traveling international from Dulles because of my last international trip for work. Because of the Dulles craziness during the summer I cut making my staging flight to Newark too close for my comfort. I made it to my gate with about 10 minutes to boarding but I am a nervous Nelly about making flights. I would do at least 2 to 2.5 hours and if you can do three I would do that.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
108 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation to Dulles (coming from Philadelphia)

Thanks! I'll go with my earliest possible option, then. I'd rather sit at a gate and read than be nervous about the timing in a security line. Actually, I've spent the night in a couple of airports, so a few hours isn't bad. :)

6. Re: Transportation to Dulles (coming from Philadelphia)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2014, 06:17