We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you only had a few hours what would you run to see?

Level Contributor
3,117 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
If you only had a few hours what would you run to see?

I am in lovely DC for work in a few days. I always try to fit in something to see while there. Is there any brand new exhibits etc that you would pick that might have opened in the past year?

I love museums and have not yet been to all on the Mall but am close. I do not mind going again to any of them but thought I would see what the experts like?

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,166 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you only had a few hours what would you run to see?

Take a look at the Smithsonian's website: www.si.edu

Their site has up to date listings of what is currently being exhibited. In fact, when we decide to take in a museum, we check the website to see what interests us.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
835 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you only had a few hours what would you run to see?

I would walk around the Tidal Basin to check out the cherry blossoms, which are supposed to be in peak bloom any day now.....one of these days......:) They keep pushing back the peak bloom date forecast. I went yesterday and a few trees were blooming, but most looked on the verge of blooming. My guess is that they'll look amazing in the middle of this coming week.

Regarding museums/galleries, here are a few specific things that come to mind:

Friends who have seen the National Gallery of Art's exhibit on the Pre-Raphaelites (through May 19) keep raving about it. I keep meaning also to go to the Phillips Collection (not free) to see the "Angels, Demons, and Savages" exhibit, which includes Jackson Pollock, whose art I really like. The National Portrait Gallery is having an exhibit with finalists from their portrait competition (http://portraitcompetition.si.edu/).

I also like going to the free concerts at various museums - the NGA and Freer Gallery are two that offer such concerts at one time or another (generally, the NGA has them on Sunday afternoons - the Phillips has concerts on Sundays too but they are not free).

Mentioned in this post
Tidal Basin
Tidal Basin
1,435 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
The Phillips Collection
The Phillips Collection
1,265 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
National Portrait Gallery
National Portrait Gallery
2,842 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Level Contributor
457 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you only had a few hours what would you run to see?

Depends on your inclinations. The National Mall is a wonderful area to walk around, and there's as much to see outdoors as there is inside the museums. I used to live just north of DC, and on a beautiful day, I loved to walk the length of the mall, especially from the National Monument down to the Lincoln Memorial. The Vietnam Wall Memorial is on the way and IMHO, it's a must-see. And the view of the mall from the Lincoln Memorial, overlooking the reflecting pool, is spectacular.

The National Cathedral, at the other end of the mall, is pretty impressive too. And a stroll by the White House is always nice.

As far as museums, I've always loved the National Gallery of Art (exceptional French Impressionists exhibit), Air & Space, and the Natural History Museum. Look at the Web sites of the various Smithsonian institutions as another person mentioned to see what might pique your interest.

If you're an animal lover, you must go to the National Zoo! When it's beautiful like it will be this week, the animals are in a fantastic mood and are very entertaining (be sure to bring a camera!). It's only a few short Metro stops away from the Mall on the red line.

Enjoy!

Edited: 08 April 2013, 00:15
Mentioned in this post
National Mall
National Mall
6,806 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Lincoln Memorial
Lincoln Memorial
26,577 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
White House
White House
6,862 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
National Gallery of Art
National Gallery of Art
8,235 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you only had a few hours what would you run to see?

Thanks great ideas. I got lucky last year and saw the blooms at their height when they were very early last year. How ironic that now that I am going later they will might be in bloom again.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
98 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you only had a few hours what would you run to see?

The National Cathedral is at Massachusetts Ave and Wisconsin...not on the Mall.

Mentioned in this post
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
United States
Wisconsin
Wisconsin
United States
6. Re: If you only had a few hours what would you run to see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 07:17