We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help with restaurant suggestion Near Marriott Metro...

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Need Help with restaurant suggestion Near Marriott Metro...

Can locals help with a restaurant recommendation? I had wanted to get a reservation at Oyamel for Wednesday April 24. However, it is 'booked out' until 8pm - meaning the first reservation is not until 8pm. And, unfortunately, that will be too late for us - we are meeting friends who are coming in from Manassas. We are staying at the Marriott Metro Center. Can anyone recommend another option in that area - I have a list that others have suggested - Zaytina is one of them- but I don't think our friends will go for the menu. I am thinking of just going with Ella's Pizza - but will not be able to call until they open in the morning...(it is closed for the evening at time of writing this post). Can anyone suggest an Italian place in the Marriott Metro area? We will have a 17 year old with us so that has to be taken into consideration - for whatever that means! One of us has a seafood allergy and another doesn't like seafood, if that helps!

THANKS!!!

Mentioned in this post
Oyamel
Oyamel
1,849 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,793 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help with restaurant suggestion Near Marriott Metro...

You may be competing with an event at the Verizon Center and/or the Shakespeare Theater for the early reservations. If you look the other direction from your hotel, you might check out The Hamilton which is part of the Clyde's family and has a broad menu. http://www.thehamiltondc.com/

Mentioned in this post
The Hamilton
The Hamilton
1,987 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help with restaurant suggestion Near Marriott Metro...

I am considering The Hamilton (it is on my list of recommended restaurants that you had listed once before.)

And, I am also now considering Georgia Browns. I have read the various reviews on both and as reviews go they are mixed. My concerns for both..... Noise level? I had read that The Hamilton can be very LOUD - but, we will be there midweek, I looked at the music lineup on their site and I don't see any music event listed. I understand that it is a large venue and noise wil factor in, but I don't want to have to shout to hear our table conversation. The same concern is for Georgia Browns -they have live jazz on Wednesday (the day we would be there) and so I am wondering if it will be really loud?

As for food quality - as long as it is good - if we wanted truly fine dining I would go elsewhere ! We just want a pleasant experience, not having to shout to our dining companions.

Comments??

Mentioned in this post
The Hamilton
The Hamilton
1,987 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,793 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help with restaurant suggestion Near Marriott Metro...

At The Hamilton, the music is downstairs. The main restaurant is on street level. But like so many places these days, I am sure it can be noisy. There are multiple rooms and some parts may be quieter than others. I have only been once. The Clyde's at Gallery Place is not all that noisy, but it is also in the same block as the Verizon Center. Tosca is Italian and quiet, but also expensive. http://www.toscadc.com/

Mentioned in this post
The Hamilton
The Hamilton
1,987 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
822 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help with restaurant suggestion Near Marriott Metro...

Bibiana is right near your hotel and is my favorite Italian restaurant in DC.

Edited: 11 April 2013, 15:05
Washington DC
Level Contributor
28 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help with restaurant suggestion Near Marriott Metro...

I'd second bibiana, it's very good.

Just curious did you call to make a reservation or do it online? I've found that open table will say a place is completely booked but if you call you can find a table.

Edited: 12 April 2013, 04:07
naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help with restaurant suggestion Near Marriott Metro...

Clothos - For Oyamel, I looked at OpenTable and saw that the first reservation was not until 8pm. I know that sometimes OpenTable (I use it here in Chicagoland) shows sold out when a table might be available, so I called the restaurant directly and they were indeed sold out. Along that line, I made a reservation for Filomena for the next night for a party of 4- via OpenTable, and needed to change it to a party of 6. Open Table would not give me my time back when I modified the number of guests, so I simply called directly to Filomena and changed it. I think their computer's just need time to update the inventory, etc.....

richmond
Level Contributor
945 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Help with restaurant suggestion Near Marriott Metro...

Rosa Mexicano is in the same area and has av lovely dining room.

8. Re: Need Help with restaurant suggestion Near Marriott Metro...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2014, 07:17