We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grandparents and grandchildren flying into richmond Va

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
76 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Grandparents and grandchildren flying into richmond Va

Any advice would be greatly appreciated we will need a room with two beds and a pool, I think we will rent a car or would there be transportation from Richmond to the DC area?????? we are not fancy but we are very clean, would like to do this trip at the best price possible we will be traveling in July, looking at staying in Alexandria****** Is that a good Idea or should we go into the city closer. HElP grandma needs help. any help would be very much apprecialted, Thanks in advance

DC
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Grandparents and grandchildren flying into richmond Va

I hope you have a good reason for flying into a city over 100 miles from DC. If you must, then I think Amtrak has some service between Richmond and DC, but driving would probably be better,although I95 is pretty miserable.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,276 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grandparents and grandchildren flying into richmond Va

That is the big question: why would you fly into Richmond if your goal is to tour in DC? Unless you rent a car you will have to get from Richmond Airport into the city and to the Amtrak station, which on the other side of town. From there you can get a train up to DC, which is about 2 hours away. Alexandria is an OK place to stay, but you must get a hotel close to a Metro station unless you want to drive into DC each day.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
201 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grandparents and grandchildren flying into richmond Va

To get from Richmond to DC (or Alexandria) the train is usually faster and more comfortable than driving on I-95. But I have no idea how to get from the Richmond airport to either the Main Street or Short Pump Amtrak stations. You could ask the Richmond forum.

richmond
Level Contributor
926 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grandparents and grandchildren flying into richmond Va

The only way to get to the train station would be a cab from the airport.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grandparents and grandchildren flying into richmond Va

A cab to either one of the two Richmond train stations would be the only way to do it. I really can't recommend it though as it will be a tremendous waste of time and money. You best bet, and by far your cheapest, is to rent a car at Richmond Airport and drive to DC from there. Even if you have to pay for high parking charges in DC (on weekends you can park on the streets with no trouble), you'll still come out way ahead in terms of your overall expense.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
76 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grandparents and grandchildren flying into richmond Va

rethinking the trip maybe need to fly into dulles or baltimore help then where do we stay that is close to transportation thanks in advance

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,276 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grandparents and grandchildren flying into richmond Va

The airport closest to DC and within sight of Alexandria is Reagan National Airport (DCA). Getting from Baltimore (BWI) or Dulles (IAD) can add costs to your trip. Look at Top Question near the upper right on this page to see about getting from the airports into DC. And if you read the forum, virtually every topic about picking a hotel is about hotels close to transportation. You wil have a lot of choices.

8. Re: Grandparents and grandchildren flying into richmond Va

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 April 2013, 22:35
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Grandparents and grandchildren flying into richmond Va

I am reporting you Dan. This forum isn't for you to advertise on.

Norton Shores...
Level Contributor
85 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grandparents and grandchildren flying into richmond Va

I agree Matt. I come to the forums to get tips from travelers, not advertisements and self promos