We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 4 fireworks viewing and walking time from DuPont

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york, ny
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Topic
July 4 fireworks viewing and walking time from DuPont

Probably staying at Marriotts Residence Inn DuPont circle over 4th weekend. Want decent view of works but have teens with me, want to be safe and my guess we gonna have to walk to and from viewing point. Is it a safe walk from the hotel to where we should go and view works? Also, what else do you suggests we do on July 4. Concert? Too crazy? Thanks for tips

texas
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July 4 fireworks viewing and walking time from DuPont

I would say go to Mall itself. We decided when we went that we would watch from Crystal City by a shopping Mall that we had been told was a good viewing sight to not have to deal with crowds. We had an ok view but many were below where we could see. Go to Mall and enjoy with all the other people.Several people have said that they go and it is not crazy packed liked I had been told , so if I come this year I will be at Mall .Have a great time. It was an awesome trip.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,946 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July 4 fireworks viewing and walking time from DuPont

You can go to the Folklife Festival for part of the day, then go somewhere for a nice sit-down dinner and maybe a rest at your hotel. About 8:15 or so walk down towards the Washington Monument and find a place to sit down and enjoy an up-close view of the fireworks that will start at about 9:15. They shoot them up from beside the reflecting pool next to the WWII Memorial. It is about a 30 minute walk and is quite safe. The walk back will be fun with the happy crowds heading north.

Carroll Valley...
Level Contributor
17 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July 4 fireworks viewing and walking time from DuPont

Fourth of July is always a busy time in DC, so expect crowds no matter where you go. There are always a lot of activities along the Mall, and with the museums lining the Mall it makes for a nice getaway into the air conditioning (for free!) if you need a reprieve from the summer heat. For viewing, I'd recommend scouting out a spot near the Jefferson Memorial (get there by 7pm). It sits right across the Tidal Basin from the mall, so you get nice views of the fireworks over the Washington Monument and reflecting off the water.

DuPont Circle is a bit of a hike from the National Mall area. You can make the walk if you are fit and prepared to walk. Otherwise, plan to take a cab or wait in long lines for the Metro. If you haven't done it before, it's worth doing at least once. Just remember to pack your patience.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
297 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July 4 fireworks viewing and walking time from DuPont

Estimate that you will walk a little more than one mile to get from Dupont to the National Mall. This isn't so terrible, especially when you consider it is the same distance between the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Monument, something tourists do all the time. There is absolutely nothing unsafe about walking from Dupont to the Mall on the 4th of July. Everyone in the city is doing exactly the same thing - heading to the Mall before the fireworks, and heading back to Northwest when the action wraps up. The Metro is an unbelievably crowded headache on July 4th weekend. You'll have lots of company on foot.

Norton Shores...
Level Contributor
85 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July 4 fireworks viewing and walking time from DuPont

We're going. One of the main reasons I chose to go during this time is to see the Capital fireworks. How awesome is it to see the Independence Day fireworks from our nations' capital. I was really worried about crowds and getting back, especially since my husband will be using an electric scooter. I almost decided to just stay at the hotel (in Arlington) and hope to view it from there. But after thinking about it, we have decided to brave the crowds and go to the center of excitement. We will just make sure to bring plenty of patience and wait it out until the metro clears a little before trying to get back to our room. It will be a late night but fun.

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July 4 fireworks viewing and walking time from DuPont

Look at a map to see the exact milage then decide if you can walk that far. No danger. Thousands of happy people walking to the mall and back. Great experience. Do yourself a favor and just don't worry. This is the easiest adventure in the world!!

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: July 4 fireworks viewing and walking time from DuPont

This may not be the best option for you in particular but other readers may want to try heading up to the Columbia Heights neighborhood to watch the fireworks, especially if you're staying near there. As the name implies, Columbia Heights is a couple hundred feet higher in elevation than downtown Washington and provides a spectacular view of the fireworks on the Mall and is where many locals choose to go for July 4 festivities. Police shut down 13th Street during the fireworks for all the people who want to watch. If you're staying in a taller (for Washington) building, or know someone who does, the view from a rooftop is even better. On a clear night, you can see fireworks going off in all the cities and towns in every direction around the District, which makes for great panoramic photography.

8. Re: July 4 fireworks viewing and walking time from DuPont

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2014, 05:17