We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Handicap parking in DC

Norton Shores...
Level Contributor
85 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Handicap parking in DC

We are flying into Baltimore for 4 days in DC and 2 days near Williamsburg. Husband has mobility issues and we will be renting an electric scooter. It breaks down to 5 pieces, none weighting more than 35 lbs. Wondering if it would be better to rent a car for getting around. Are there plenty of handicap parking spots near the Smithsonians, the various monuments and the zoo? Or would we be better off taking MARC train from airport to DC and traveling by metro/taxis in DC and then renting a car for going to Williamsburg? Hotel where we are staying costs $23/night to park, right by the Pentagon. Not sure if there is free parking anywhere close to that. Anyone know the availability of handicap spaces in DC? Thanks.

richmond
Level Contributor
928 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Handicap parking in DC

Google disabled acess Washington DC and it will take you to About.com. There are also a couple of ther sites.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Handicap parking in DC

"Hello Demarak,

DC could be complicated for disabled people when using public transportation. But it has a lot of parking spots that I am sure you can use. I know that at the zoo and the Mall and Memorials you wouldn’t have any problems. If renting a car you probably want to make sure you get a signal for disable so you avoid tickets. This info coud be useful:

Accessible Passenger Loading Zones on the National Mall:

National Museum of American History: Mall and Constitution Avenue entrances

National Museum of Natural History: Mall entrance

National Air and Space Museum: Mall entrance

S. Dillon Ripley Center: Mall entrance

Freer Gallery of Art: Independence Avenue entrance

Parking Garages Close to the National Mall With Accessible Parking Spaces:

Colonial Parking in Capital Gallery (6th and Maryland Avenue, SW)

Colonial Parking in the Holiday Inn (6th and C Streets, SW)

and the Ronald Reagan Building (14th and Pennsylvania Avenue, NW)

"

Norton Shores...
Level Contributor
85 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Handicap parking in DC

Thanks. We are not familiar with using public transportation and a little concerned that it might prove complicated with a traveler with a disability. But I also don't want to get where we are going only to not be able to find anywhere to park. There have been many times we've had that happen and it's frustrating. We have a handicap sign for the mirror for a rental car so that's not going to be an issue.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,048 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Handicap parking in DC

There are street parking spaces throughout the city with low-profile red meters for handicap permit holders. You're allowed to park there for twice the amount of time as the non-handicap spaces (i.e. the meter usually goes to four hours instead of two), but the hourly rate is the same as at the non-handicap spaces. The challenge is that the meters are fairly new and a lot of non-handicap drivers simply don't get that they're reserved-and ticket writers seem to be more concerned that fees have been paid vs. checking for permits.

If you don't get a red-metered space, you're also allowed to park for double the maximum time at a non-handicap meter--but you would need to feed the meter when it expires (an aggressively-ticketed offense for those without permits).

Edited: 27 April 2013, 02:45
Norton Shores...
Level Contributor
85 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Handicap parking in DC

I think I have talked myself into not renting a car until we are ready to head to Williamsburg. Handicapped people use the metro all the time and we will just have to figure it out. I don't want to have to run back to the vehicle to feed the meter or worry about finding a spot. Plus we would have to pay to park everywhere, including the hotel. Probably cheaper even if we take taxis rather than rent a car. Thanks everyone.

6. Re: Handicap parking in DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2014, 06:16