We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Washin gton DC from Baltimore Airport

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Best way to get to Washin gton DC from Baltimore Airport

On one leg of our trip to the USA we are flying into Baltimore and going to stay in Washington DC _ got a really good flight deal to Baltimore - have read a few ways to get to Washington - but which is best - Amtrak is only $22 for the two of us, The other train line (can't remember the name) is even cheaper. Our hotel in Washington is right across the road from Union Station - is it hard to get to the Amtrak station and is the other train the same station - read some reviews that the shuttle bus to the train station is not great. They also have a shuttle van apparently that goes to Washington I think around $45 for the two of us - is it worth the extra $20 or so dollars or is Amtrak easy to get to and ok. Will be arriving late in the afternoon on a friday.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Union Station
Union Station
1,999 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Hotel Hive
Hotel Hive
#1 of 142 hotels in Washington DC
The Jefferson, Washington DC
The Jefferson, Washington DC
#4 of 142 hotels in Washington DC
The Avery Georgetown
The Avery Georgetown
#6 of 142 hotels in Washington DC
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,216 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to Washin gton DC from Baltimore Airport

The trains leave from the same train station. The commuter train is the MARC. Yes, there is a free shuttle from the airport to the train station. I don't know of any complaints about it but people can complain about anything I guess.

I'm not sure how a shuttle that will cost more and take more time is a good option for you.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to Washin gton DC from Baltimore Airport

IrishFan is correct. The MARC train is much cheaper, but it only runs during the week (not on Saturday or Sunday), so that might be a consideration. The only other caveat with Amtrak is that you have to buy a ticket for specific train (i.e., you cannot just buy a generic ticket for any train, it must be for a specific train number). For MARC that is not true.

As for the free bus from BWI to the BWI Amtrak station, I have taken it many times. It can be a bit crowded, but I have never had a problem with it.

dctravel

Mentioned in this post
Herndon, Virginia
Level Contributor
307 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get to Washin gton DC from Baltimore Airport

I've done the Amtrak option in reverse TO Baltimore from Union Station and have never had issues with the shuttle service. As long as you plan ahead and know what time your flight is arriving, and allow for enough transit time via shuttle to the Amtrak station (It's like a mile drive... not far at all), you should be just fine.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Union Station
Union Station
1,999 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get to Washin gton DC from Baltimore Airport

The shuttle bus runs every 5-10 minutes from every terminal and travels in 5-10 minutes to the Amtrak station. It's no big deal. You can take the MARC train to Union Station: here is a schedule:

…maryland.gov/sites/…Penn_March2013.pdf

It costs about $5.75 per person, and you buy your ticket at the station building, then cross over to the DC-bound platform.

When you get to Union Station walk the 1/10 mile to your hotel.

MARC trains do not run on Saturday or Sunday.

An alternative 7 days a week is the B30 bus to Greenbelt Metro station, then take the Green Line to Gallery Place, then the Glenmont or Silver Spring Red Line to Union Station.

www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/md/b30.pdf

This bus leaves right from the Departures road at the terminals.

Edited: 30 April 2013, 05:19
Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
1,999 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Silver Spring
Silver Spring
Montgomery County, MD
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
201 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get to Washin gton DC from Baltimore Airport

I will complain about the shuttle bus service between BWI airport and the BWI train station. It's supposed to run every 12 minutes. In the evenings at BWI airport , I usually wait 30-40 minutes for it. So I often miss the last MARC train, and have to pony up for the Amtrak.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get to Washin gton DC from Baltimore Airport

Is there a cab you can take to the railway station? We will be arriving at 4 16 pm on a friday afternoon - is the shuttle likely to be a problem at that time of day?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,855 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get to Washin gton DC from Baltimore Airport

The "best way" is still a car and driver arranged ahead of time to meet you, help with the luggage and get you to your hotel as quickly as possible.

A taxi may be unhappy to take you on such a short trip, where he has to come back to the end of the queue at the airport, but I expect he will be required to take you all the same. A taxi all the way into DC is the second best way.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
201 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get to Washin gton DC from Baltimore Airport

The last MARC is like 10pm, so you should be just fine even if you have to wait longer than scheduled for the shuttle. And you might get lucky--a previous poster has experienced the shuttle coming more frequently than scheduled! It is possible to take a cab to the station, but those lines could be long, I'm not familiar with them.

FYI, at least in DC, once you're in a taxi, the driver is not legally allowed to refuse to take you where you ask. I would think Maryland would have a similar law.

Mentioned in this post
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,216 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get to Washin gton DC from Baltimore Airport

I think most cities have that law. But whether or not the taxi dispatcher will honor it or not is another story. More than likely you'll be pointed down the sidewalk to the sign for the shuttle bus.

Whatever you do, watch out for the illegal drivers that lurk around the doorways at BWI. Don't take a taxi except from the legal dispatchers at the curb outside of baggage claim. Anyone soliciting your business in the bag claim area or as you walk out the door is not legal.

Mentioned in this post
10. Re: Best way to get to Washin gton DC from Baltimore Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2014, 06:18