We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ridiculous immigration queques at Dulles Int. Airport

Vienna
Level Contributor
4,423 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Ridiculous immigration queques at Dulles Int. Airport

Up to 2 hours multiple immigration and security checks to connect to a domestic flight as non US citizen - how can such a great country make it so difficult for tourists to come and to spend USD ?????

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ridiculous immigration queques at Dulles Int. Airport

Same thing happens to citizens at JFK! i know exactly what cattle feels like now...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,668 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ridiculous immigration queques at Dulles Int. Airport

Bummer, sorry We are US citizens and waited an hour in September...the budget issues are not helping.

Dallas
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ridiculous immigration queques at Dulles Int. Airport

Equally miserable experiences at Heathrow.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,924 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ridiculous immigration queques at Dulles Int. Airport

Because some of you for'ners like to blow things up with yer underpants, and other for'ners like to steal our cleaning and planting jobs. You should feel honored we even let you in!

(The above is a sad parody of certain narrow-minded thinking that seems to drive our electorate; most of the folks who think this way have not and will not ever travel internationally)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ridiculous immigration queques at Dulles Int. Airport

Be glad you didn't land in Atlanta.

Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ridiculous immigration queques at Dulles Int. Airport

Ditto on the experience at Heathrow, which was epic. Dulles was a breeze in comparison.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ridiculous immigration queques at Dulles Int. Airport

You can always go somewhere else. Not being snide, just realistic. What good does it do to complain here? I could complain about similar problems existing in many countries in the world. I could complain about rude people we encountered in Paris, Berlin, La Paz, and even Vienna. One time at the airport in Lagos the woman searching my carry-on bag not very subtly asked for a bribe, though, to her credit, she just shrugged with a puzzled look and let me go on when I said I didn't have anything for her.

Not sure if there's a connection between a country being "great" and the lines for tourists, but I'm sure tourists make remarks like yours around the world. You don't say if this is the only time you've visited the U.S. How did the rest of your visit go?

Edited: 03 May 2013, 19:49
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ridiculous immigration queques at Dulles Int. Airport

p.s. if you experienced your problem during the sequestration crisis, the lines may well have been worse than usual, but two hours doesn't sound unheard of even during "normal" times, especially if several international flights land at the same time. If you do decide to send a complaint such as to the Visit USA office (part of the Department of Commerce at many embassies), I'd try to be a specific as possible, and say that the lines could discourage tourism. A line such as how can a country that pretends it's great have such problems (i.e, shaming them) won't have a positive effect.

9. Re: Ridiculous immigration queques at Dulles Int. Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2014, 05:17