We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

D.C. in the Fall

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
6 posts
Save Topic
D.C. in the Fall

My wife and I are thinking of coming to D.C. in fall (late September/early October). We really like using VRBO or Tripadvisor and renting a condo. We've never been to our nation's capitol and are not sure what are to stay in. I'm sure like anybody, we want to be close to the monuments, dining, bars, etc... We may not rent a car so close to public transportation would be key. Any suggestions would be great. Also, how is the weather during that time of year?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,729 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: D.C. in the Fall

That time of year is a good time to be in DC. The weather is generally nice and there are no crowds. There are lots of topics about what area to stay in. Dupont Circle might be the best for a VRBO rental. Columbia Heights is another, as Victoria will be quick to tell you. Woodley Park and Adams Morgan also have a few places. Since you have used VRBO before you porbably know the things to look for to avoid a scam, like anyone asking for the money to be wired. I believe there are a few VRBO apartments in downtown DC, but not many. Any Capitol Hill place should be researched very carefully with an address, as some are good and some not so good.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
717 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: D.C. in the Fall

IMHO, fall is the best time of year to come to DC. Spring can be really nice too (like the weather this weekend) but all too brief - it tends to very quickly devolve into humid, oppressive summer weather! Fall, on the other hand, tends to be much more predictably pleasant for walking around - less humid, and can still be warmish during the day into November. You'll need at least a light jacket, but it shouldn't be freezing. The main downside (for me - you may not care about this) is that the days get shorter pretty quickly - it starts getting dark fairly early. But it's not like there's nothing to see after dark, of course - for instance, you can see the monuments at night, which is a beautiful and dramatic way to see them.

I'm sure others will weigh in with lodging views, but I think the most convenient and "easiest" neighborhoods for first-time visitors are Penn Quarter/Metro Center (where I live, so unsurprising - LOL)(e.g., zip 20004), Dupont Circle, and Downtown/K Street/Foggy Bottom. Those neighborhoods put you in walking distance of many major sights and excellent restaurants, and near one or more Metro stations and major bus routes.

And welcome! I am splitting my time between DC and Chicago these days, so a particular welcome to you. ;)

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,724 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: D.C. in the Fall

Fall is the best time by far to visit DC. Weather is great, crowds & school groups are gone and there are lots of neighborhood festivals. I would suggest Homeaway dot com rather than VRBO dot com. They are now the same company, with the same listings, but Homeaway has better search features - you can sort by price, as well as by neighborhoods. Always check the cleaning fees to determine your final price.

The neighborhood of Columbia Heights offers a great location and some of the best-value apts. with most of the about 30 listings within a 3 block walk to the Green/yellow line Metro. (7 min. to the Archives, 10 mins. to Air and Space. ) You also have over 50 restaurants, cafes & bars, plus a shopping center with Target.

Dupont Circle is also convenient, with shops and restaurants and lots of apts. The Red Line metro is slightly less convenient to the tourist areas, requiring a change of lines, but not a big deal.

Most of Adams Morgan is well-served by buses and about a 15 walk to Woodley Park Metro.

Capitol Hill has many listings, but check the location on the map first thing - many people stretch the boundaries. It is a charming neighborhood, but I find it a bit of an "island." The other neighborhoods of NW, Dupont, U St. Logan, Shaw, Adams Morgan, Columbia Heights, Woodley Park are all connected.

If you're staying longer than about 4 days, it is better to be close to a metro and to have lots of restaurant choices nearby than to be "walking distance" to the mall. After a whole day on your feet, you don't want that extra 15 min. walk "home."

Feel free to post the exact listing number of any apt. you are considering and we can tell you more.

4. Re: D.C. in the Fall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2014, 05:16