We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Special dinner suggestions

Indiana
Level Contributor
121 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Special dinner suggestions

Looking to surprise my husband on our last night in DC which happens to be his birthday with something really nice for dinner. It will be a Sunday. It can be a nice restaurant with a view, river cruise, private dinner set up outside somewhere with a view - just something romantic and beautiful. I'm not looking to just be inside 4 walls of a fancy restaurant but rather atmosphere, view and good food. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My budget - I'd spend $200 for what I'm looking for. Maybe more just depending on how spectacular :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,161 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Special dinner suggestions

Restaurants with a view are rare in DC, unless you mean a view of the street-scape and the people walking by. And I am unaware of any place that has a view and good food. There are many places with good food, though on a Sunday some of those are closed. And there are many places in DC with outdoor dining, if the weather permits.

DC
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Special dinner suggestions

You could start out with drinks and a view at the POV at the W Washington and then go for dinner downstairs to the J&G Steakhouse or walk around the corner to the Occidental Grill at the Willard.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
201 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Special dinner suggestions

I think one or more of the restaurants at the Mandarin Oriental has views, and the food is supposed to be excellent, but I don't actually know. You could at least check with them on the views if no one else chimes in.

The Kennedy Center Roof Terrace Restaurant has great views, but I haven't eaten there in a long time. I eat regularly at the KC Cafe there which is quite good, so I assume the restaurant is as good or better.

There's also some rotating restaurant in Arlington, but I know nothing else about it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,457 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Special dinner suggestions

The Sequoia has views over the Potomac. I haven't been there in about 15 years, so I have no idea if the food is as good as it used to be.

richmond
Level Contributor
921 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Special dinner suggestions

I would post on Chowhound DC. If the hotel you are staying at has a concierge you could contact them.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
737 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Special dinner suggestions

The Kennedy Center restaurant's food is not good, sorry to say. It's also overpriced. (But still crowded!) It's a shame because it really is a missed opportunity for the KenCen to have an excellent restaurant with an excellent view. Sequoia has a nice view of the river but has always had spectacularly bad service and only decent food (but - for those reasons - I haven't been there in years either, so who knows - maybe it's had a turnaround. I haven't heard that, though.)

Kept in mind that we don't have really tall buildings in DC so it's not like spectacular bird's-eye views are everywhere. You may not want to be "just inside 4 walls of a fancy restaurant," but that's what we specialize in here. ;)

If you can give up the "view" prong of your requirements list, excellent special-occasion restaurants include CityZen at the Mandarin Oriental hotel, The Oval Room, and Proof. Oh, and The Source by Wolfgang Puck adjacent to the Newseum.

Good luck!

Edited: 09 May 2013, 13:12
7. Re: Special dinner suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2014, 06:17