We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
getaways a few hours from DC

We would like to take our son and daughter in law with us for a weekend getaway a few hours away from Washington DC(their home) Any suggestions as to a location in a beautiful setting, fine restaurants, and some sightseeing. We are stumped and always appreciate others' suggestions. Thank you

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,420 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getaways a few hours from DC

Annapolis is very nice, with some lovely water views and historic places to visit, along with the Naval Academy. Not sure about the "fine restaurants", but there are certainly some nice ones. And only about an hour away.

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getaways a few hours from DC

More details on sightseeing? Do they like historical sites or woods/mountains/nature? What about art/theater? What time of year? There are 100 possibilities! I would suggest you simply ASK them! It's a lovely idea and I'd bet they already have something of a wish list. If not, check out the local blog "Prince of Petworth."

popville.com/2012/…

Since they already live in DC, they have access to plenty of "fine restaurants" so while there are plenty of good restaurants scattered about these days, outside of Inn at Little Washington or Volt there is nothing you really need to make a focus for a destination.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,997 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getaways a few hours from DC

I'm fond of Charlottesville, VA. Many good places to eat, plus you have Jefferson's Monticello and the Rotunda / Lawn at the University of Virginia. The surrounding countryside also offers some nice hiking and outdoor options. Lots of threads to be found in the Charlottesville VA forum.

richmond
Level Contributor
928 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getaways a few hours from DC

I second Charlottesville! Stay at the Omni which is at the top of an outdoor pedestrian mall with great stores and restaurants. Also you can hit up some great wineries.

5. Re: getaways a few hours from DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2014, 06:19