We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tentative Plans for DC trip next week-----comments please

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Tentative Plans for DC trip next week-----comments please

We are a 63 y.o. couple in good walking shape, although we'll get the week long Metro pass. I have tentatively planned a schedule around timed reservations and wonder if it sounds do-able.

Tues: We will be flying in next Tues to DCA @ 4:40pm. Plan on taking a taxi to our hotel: Marriott Residence Inn Capitol, grab a bite at their free dinner that starts @ 6pm, and then walk the west half of the mall til we drop that evening, since we'll still be on CA time. (I'm told we might have to break that up into more evenings)

Wed: Early am: Take Metro to Eastern Market and buy lunch fixin's for the week and maybe even some dinner stuff since we will have a full kitchen.

Rest of morning: Smithsonian, either A&S or American Indian.

1:30pm: US Capitol Tour, then take tunnel to Library of Congress and sign up for 3:30 pm tour if available or just walk around.

Thurs: 9am Ford Theatre Tour

2pm Supreme Court Tour

Friday: Smithsonian museums, White House Visitor Center

5pm dinner Cava Mezze res.

7pm Marine Barracks Evening Parade gate opening.

Satur: mornings: Smithsonian's or Eastern Market to pick up more food.

2:30pm Nat'l Archives Timed Entry.

rest of afternoon: Smithsonians extended hours til 7:30pm.

Sun: 7am Take metro to DCA and pick up a rental car. Drive back to hotel and pick up luggage and friends. Drive to Richmond to meet rest of golf group by 12:30pm for a week's golfing in Williamsburg.

Wed, Thurs, or Sat: 6pm Kennedy Center Mellenium Stage performance. And a tour if we get there before 5pm W or Th. Depends on which day our nephew can meet us for lunch/dinner, who works @ 2nd & D St SE. If we go out for dinners, will probably stick to places along Barracks Row and try to eat early to avoid the young crowd.

We've been to DC before with the kids' 8th grade DC trips, but it's been 25 years, so repeating some and leaving off the farther out places we've already visited.

What do you think?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tentative Plans for DC trip next week-----comments please

I would go to Eastern Market on Saturday morning when the extra vendors are there. The market does not have everything if I remember correctly. You will find a butcher, baker, cheese, deli and I cannot remember if someone sold fruits and vegetables. There is a Safeway in walking distance to your hotel for other items you may need.

Otherwise you appear to have a good plan for your week.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,378 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tentative Plans for DC trip next week-----comments please

Not sure you will find what you need at Eastern Market, as the selection there is fairly limited compared to a regular grocery store. You might do better going to the Safeway on 4th Street SW, not too far from your hotel.

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tentative Plans for DC trip next week-----comments please

Thanks, good to know the Safeway is so close by. I think there is a produce place at Eastern Mkt. I probably won't be doing real cooking. Our hotel serves breakfast, so I'll just get deli stuff, meats, bread, cheese, fruits, salads for our lunches. One place sells pastas, rotisserie chicken, etc. I've been warned that DC eateries are overpriced, crowded, and not as good as they think they are. Since I'm not a very big eater, will try to keep our meals simple, light, and hopefully kinda healthy. My husband is mostly on a caveman diet. Then we'll probably pig out our week in Williamsburg since we'll be eating all our meals out. :)

Now, if I could just figure out what to pack! The weather forecast keeps changing. I'm trying to get a week's worth of DC walking around outfits, a week's golf clothes, going out to dinner clothes, and rain gear into a carry-on size suitcase. Ha. How cold do they keep the museums, Capitol, etc? Shorts during the day? Hot and humid? Guess I will just have to bring everything!

richmond
Level Contributor
926 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tentative Plans for DC trip next week-----comments please

There is also Union Market that has many artisanal vendors.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
324 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tentative Plans for DC trip next week-----comments please

The Newseum certainly wasn't here during your last visit to DC and it is worth your time. It is directly across the street from the Smithsonian. They charge for tickets, but they have a senior rate (with a discount if you buy online). Great reviews for the 50th annivesary JFK exhibit that just opened.

Nice decision on Cava Mezze dinner

You won't take the tunnel to the Library of Congress. Just walk outside the Capitol and head directly across the street. It couldn't be easier.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,378 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tentative Plans for DC trip next week-----comments please

Izzy is a little confused on the location of the Newseum, but otherwise I have to agree. The Newseum is across the street from the West Wing of the National Gallery of Art, which is not part of the Smithsonian. http://www.newseum.org/

Edited: 12 May 2013, 16:33
San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tentative Plans for DC trip next week-----comments please

I thought I read somewhere that if we took the tunnel, we wouldn't have to go through security screening again at the Library?

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tentative Plans for DC trip next week-----comments please

Thanks. We'll try to squeeze it in. Thinking we need to make another trip to DC. There is no way we can see everything in our short 4 days!

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tentative Plans for DC trip next week-----comments please

Union sounds neat, but we won't have a car. Looks like 3 different Metro lines to get there from our hotel. :(. Guess we will have to stick to walking to Safeway as it looks like half a mile or so. I think the hotel has a grocery service, so might try them for milk and stuff. I've never tried carrying a gallon that far. How's DC tap water for drinking?

Edited: 13 May 2013, 23:06
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,378 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tentative Plans for DC trip next week-----comments please

Sorry, I missed that Izzy is wrong about the tunnel too. There are more than one tunnel, but the one open to the public connects the Capitol Visitor Center to the Library of Congress and that way you will avoid a second security check. Look for the signs or ask someone. A nice time-saver.

The Newseum is very nice, but is not something you slip in for a few minutes. It is fairly expensive and worth at least 4 hours to tour at all properly. If you don't have that time to spare, save it for another trip to DC.

DC drinking water is not to everyone's taste, but I don't find it objectionable most of the time. Try it and see what you think. Bottled water is such a waste of resources and isn't always safer, but usually tastier.

Edited: 13 May 2013, 23:11