We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family with a baby

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Somerset, Kentucky
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Family with a baby

We're planning a trip to DC between July 15th-22nd (dates are flexible). It will be my husband, myself and our 3 kids- ages 15, 10 and 11months at the time. How many days do you all recommend? I was thinking 4-5 nights. We don't have our activities planned yet but just want to do the regular sight seeing, I suppose. I'm looking to stay here http://www.dcdupontcirclerentals.com because I read on another thread that Dupont Circle is a good area to stay. I guess I just want reassurance that this would be a good place. I would like to be somewhere that is easy to go back to so the baby can rest. Also, I am very overwhelmed when looking up info on the Metro. Do we each need a pass?

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,726 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family with a baby

That link leads to what seems to be 3 different buildings - which one exactly are you renting? Some are closer to Dupont Circle & metro than others.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,733 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family with a baby

Four or five nights is about right for a nice visit to DC. Dupont Circle is a great area, but without a specific address, I can't be sure how convenient the place you are looking at is.

You will need a pass or SmarTrip card for each person except your baby. Children 4 and under travel free with an adult. If you are planning on getting the 7-day Short Trip pass for each, that will work great for unlimited trips on Metro, but it doesn't work on the buses, should you want to use one.

Somerset, Kentucky
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family with a baby

I was looking at this place in particular www.dcdupontcirclerentals.com/buying.html I assumed this one was one building with several apartments in it. This link http://www.vrbo.com/316121 shows a map at the bottom.

Will we be able to get anywhere we want on just the Metro or do we need the buses also?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,733 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family with a baby

Based on the answers to the reviews, I would say this apartment is much closer to U Street than Dupont Circle. And that makes me question everything else about the place. If it is 1.5 blocks from Busboys and Poets, it is NOT Dupont Circle.

If you were actually near the "heart of Dupont Circle" you would be able to use Metro to get most places you are likely to want to visit. There is also a Metro station on U Street, so that might still be true. But the owner talks a lot about buses, so that may be more practical from the location, but obviously not as quick.

Somerset, Kentucky
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family with a baby

We don't 'have' to stay in Dupont Circle. I had just read on here that it was a good place to stay. I have searched and searched for a decent place, decent price, decent area and just get overwhelmed. I would like to spend under $200 a night, preferably closer to $150 since we'll still have to add on tax and likely a parking fee. It's so hard to find a place because most of the advertisements are misleading on area. I appreciate all the replies and help.

Somerset, Kentucky
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Family with a baby

We don't 'have' to stay in Dupont Circle. I had just read on here that it was a good place to stay. I have searched and searched for a decent place, decent price, decent area and just get overwhelmed. I would like to spend under $200 a night, preferably closer to $150 since we'll still have to add on tax and likely a parking fee. It's so hard to find a place because most of the advertisements are misleading on area. I appreciate all the replies and help.

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,726 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family with a baby

This apt. is one block outside the borders of what is generally considered Dupont Circle (Between 22nd St. & 15th St. Fla. Ave and M St.) But it is only 2 blocks to U St. metro. The Green Line metro at U St. is actually more convenient for tourists than the Red Line which serves Dupont circle. Red line requires a change of trains to the mall area. U St. Metro to the Air and Space museum for example is 9 minutes. And you do have lots of shops & restaurants nearby. Lots of good reviews too. The owner provides a phone number, so you could call her and ask her about any other specific concerns.

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,726 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family with a baby

Also - rental apts. will give you a free visitor street parking pass. This area is tough to park so not convenient if you wanted to drive every day (which you would not!) but you can certainly find a place to park the car and leave it. Maybe needing to move one day for street cleaning.

Somerset, Kentucky
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Family with a baby

Thank you all for your time and advice. However, I am still undecided on where to stay. It's a very annoying trait I have. I'm going to look around for a better deal to fit our budget.

10. Re: Family with a baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2014, 07:17