We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How close is the Lincoln Memorial & Ford Theater?

Mt.Orab,Ohio
Level Contributor
108 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
How close is the Lincoln Memorial & Ford Theater?

I am traveling with my 9 year old granddaughter who is a big fan of President Lincoln. Can you tell me how close the Lincolm Memorial & Ford Theater are together? How close are all the other famous sites? I'd like her to be able to see the White house and the Washington Monument.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How close is the Lincoln Memorial & Ford Theater?

Its a walk but if it is too much grab a cab and take it to the Memorial. Might be easier to grab a cab near Ford's Theater than at the Memorial.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
35 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How close is the Lincoln Memorial & Ford Theater?

Hi. The Lincoln Memorial is at the very end of the National Mall, by the Potomac River. At the other end of the Mall is the U.S. Capitol. You could go to the Lincoln Memorial and then walk from it down the Mall to the Washington Monument -- about a 15-minute walk from the Lincoln Memorial. The White House is north of the Mall, and is not far from the Washington Monument. Here's a link to a map of the National Mall: nationalgeographic.com/walkingtours/Washingt… From the White House you could either take a cab to Ford's Theater or take the metro. Here's a link to the directions to Ford's Theater, which is located on 10th Street, NW. fordstheatre.org/home/…directions-and-parking Don't forget to go across the street from Ford's Theater to see the house where Lincoln actually died. It is open at various times - check the Ford's Theater website for a link to the house.

There are also walking tours of DC that are history-oriented, including one about the route that John Wilkes Booth took to escape after he shot Lincoln. You might also enjoy the National Portrait Gallery's Civil War collection of photographs and art.

Have a great time in DC!

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How close is the Lincoln Memorial & Ford Theater?

The Lincoln Memorial is at least 1 and 1/2 miles from Ford's Theater (the equivalent of 15 blocks west, and 4 blocks south) and there is no convenient metrorail station between the 2 places. The walk through the National Mall (very long green park) is very scenic and awe-inspiring, but rather long. Best to take a taxicab between the 2 sights. As mentioned above, it might be easier hailing a taxi from Ford's theater, than from the Lincoln Memorial. Ford's has quite an extensive museum display in the basement about Lincoln's years as President, and is free of charge. The "house where Lincoln died" is just across the street, and is free to go in.

There is also a special attraction called the "Lincoln Cottage" a few miles north, which has only been opened to the public for a few years. It's a retreat where Lincoln used to spend the summer, and where he wrote the Emancipation document. Unfortunately, cottage visitors need to reserve a considerable time in advance, from what I've heard.

There is also an outdoor statue of Lincoln in "Lincoln Park" a mile east of the Capitol, and there is a large bust of Lincoln inside the Capitol rotunda.

Edited: 18 May 2013, 23:55
Williamston...
Level Contributor
866 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How close is the Lincoln Memorial & Ford Theater?

The two sites are obviously not very close together but who says you have to see one right after the other? I assume you're going to try to catch many more sights during your stay. If you're going to the National Archives to see the Declaration of Independence, Ford's Theatre is just a few blocks away. The American history and natural history museums are a little further but still within reasonable walking distance. After traveling hundreds of miles to get to DC, what's a few more blocks?

Level Contributor
1 post
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How close is the Lincoln Memorial & Ford Theater?

Be sure to see the Lincoln Memorial, Ford Theatre charges to go inside, but you can also see a show if you like. I was underwhelmed by it.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How close is the Lincoln Memorial & Ford Theater?

Hi Spillers:

I am newly back from DC, and I was able to walk from Fords to the Lincoln Monument. My feet hurt but not so much from the walking but from Standing in lines. On my way from Ford's Theatre, I passed the White House and then continued to the Mall. The Washington Monument was almost always within sight once I turned closer to the Mall. My guess it could be a bit much for a 9 y/o, but you never know ~ she could surprise you. There are plenty of places to sit and rest along the way.

If she is a Lincoln fan, PLEASE take her to the Lincoln's Soldier's Cottage where he lived during the warmer summer months. It is also where he focused on the Emancipation Proclamation. And it's not crowded.

jc

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How close is the Lincoln Memorial & Ford Theater?

It's a little unnerving when someone mentions "the Lincoln Monument". Is it the Lincoln Memorial or the Washington Monument being discussed in post #6? Ford's Theater is at 10th and E St, NW, the Lincoln Memorial is at 23 & the (Equivalent of) A St NW. At about 10-11 blocks to a mile, that's about 1.5 miles, as another poster correctly stated.

I like the idea of starting at Ford's Theater, then work your way over to the Lincoln Mem (by taxi if necessary). The Metro station closest to it is "Foggy Bottom/GWU" at 23 & I (the letter "Eye") on the Blue/Orange Lines. And there are almost always taxis at the south (left side) of the Lincoln Mem. waiting for exhausted people. Near there one can also visit the Viet Nam and Korean War Memorials, and along Independence Avenue, near where 19th St would be is the Martin Luther King, Jr., Memorial, which is very, very inspiring for everyone.

Lincoln's Cottage is near the Georgia Avenue Petworth Station on the Green/Yellow Lines, found by walking west on Rock Creek Church Road, or taking a taxi or bus that last 7/8 mile or so.

Edited: 20 May 2013, 19:14
Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How close is the Lincoln Memorial & Ford Theater?

Apologize for unnerving you over my faux pax referring to the Lincoln Monument as opposed to Memorial. I'm a first timer to DC and if I made a mistake, I made a mistake. No need to get any knickers in a bunch. I was talking about both the Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial.

It's a long walk from Ford's Theatre to the Lincoln MEMORIAL, you can't get into the White House, but you can pass it on the way to the monuments for a few photo ops. There are plenty of places you can rest in between Ford's Theatre and the Lincoln Memorial. I think a 9 y/o can walk a mile and a half, but it would depend on the 9 y/o.

Also, the Peterson house where Lincoln died isn't free. It's part of the tour from Ford's Theatre. You have to have a ticket stub to get into Peterson House. You can purchase various packages from Ford's Theatre. I bought the whole deal, but you can buy just the museum/theatre and Petersen House.

Again, I apologize for my error.

jc

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How close is the Lincoln Memorial & Ford Theater?

Is it w

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: How close is the Lincoln Memorial & Ford Theater?

I'll be bringing my 11 & 12 yo to the Ford theatre tour. I've differing reviews about the rangers talk. Should we book just the museum, theater walk thru & Peterson house? With or without audio? Would we feel lost without audio tour? Do you know if the audio narrating is boring or not? Thanks.