We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using the Metro

muncy, PA
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Topic
Using the Metro

Newbie to Washington. Wife and I are taking our children, and daughter's friend, to visit in August. We are staying in Arlington and want to take the metro over to the city to tour. I am on the Metro's website and am trying to figure out what the most economical choice is for a metro pass for 5 of us. Can I buy 1 smarttrip pass and use it for everyone? Any discounts or better way to do this? I have figured out that Rosslynn is the metro we will be departing from but.....Anyhow if anyone can suggest, comment, help me make sense it will be much appreciated! THANKS, Jeff.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using the Metro

Everybody needs their own pass - regardless of type. I have a SmartTrip card and reload it every time but passes may make sense for you depending on how many rides and days you will be in DC.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,161 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using the Metro

The 7-day Short Trip Pass will probably be your most economical way on Metro. It will give you unlimited rides on the Metro trains for your entire stay. By August, it is only available on a SmarTrip card, so that will add $5 each. If you get them in advance and register, I believe $3 will be refunded. And yes, each person needs their own. No sharing of cards. You tap it going in and going out.

Maryland
Level Contributor
316 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using the Metro

You probably already figured out Smithsonian is the stop for the Mall and most of the tourist sites. DC Metro is about easiest transit to figure out in the country. Stand back and watch how the fare cards are used, then go for it. But don't count on understanding the driver calling out the stops. Watch the map or the lighted stop names inside the cars instead. Stay off the trains during rush hour. Commuters are not very forgiving. On escalators stand right and walk left. Standing left will get you run over. Lunch in the American Indian Museum is best on the Mall.

Defiance, OH
Level Contributor
272 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using the Metro

We got schooled on the proper etiquette pretty early by someone telling us to keep right. I am glad my son got to see the monuments and some history, but I will never come back here again. I need a vacation after this vacation.

Lafayette
Level Contributor
177 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using the Metro

Is the 7 day pass going away per darrells reply? If so...when??

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,161 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using the Metro

The paper version of the 7-day Short Trip Pass is going away after May 31, 2013. It will still be available to load onto a SmarTrip card. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28970-i40-k651707…

Edited: 22 May 2013, 12:52
London, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using the Metro

The stand on the right, walk on the left is not just in DC. In London it is also true, so not hard to follow! (I know how annoying it is to have tourists around!! I also plan to avoid taking suitcases on public transport during rush hour!) I was concerned that it would be the other way around (like driving sides are), it's hard to break a habit like standing on the right!

Lafayette
Level Contributor
177 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using the Metro

So now, I will need a smart trip card for which I can then purchase a 7 day short trip pass to "load" on it? Can i purchase both of these in a metro station? I hope riding this thing is easier than trying to figure out what to buy and when and how, lol

Edited: 22 May 2013, 13:44
Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using the Metro

Yes, there are machines to buy them at all stations. Just watch the signs. As for riding, thats very easy and very well marked.

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using the Metro

www.wmata.com is the Metro website. It can be a bit confusing because there are more "options" here than in many subway systems, but you can figure most things out there.

Also the Smithsonian station is NOT "the" stop for the mall and tourist stops. It is one of several stations that get you there. Check the maps.

Also, closer to your date, check weekend track work to see if any stations are closed or trains are delayed.