We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which attractions are not to miss

Alpharetta
8 posts
Save Topic
Which attractions are not to miss

I'll be going to DC in June and don't have time to do everything I'd like. Below are a few attractions I'm trying to decide upon. Are any worth the time? If so, about how much time is typically needed?

Old Post Office Pavillion

Newseum

Bureau of Engraving and Printing

Woodrow Wilson House

Museum of Crime and Punishment

Thanks!

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which attractions are not to miss

Newseum - I spent all day there the last time I was there. 1 of my favorite museums anywhere

Haven't been to any of the others in my 4 trips to DC except for the Old PO which won't take more than an hour depending on the line to get in.

I saw your listed itinerary and you definitely have too much. Seems more of a checklist than a vacation. I tried to do the same thing my first trip and its not worth it. Be flexible and be willing to change / skip etc.

There is no way that I would do the Holocaust Museum and Newseum in the same day. When you leave the Holocaust Museum, you are going to need to unwind for a while. I might even suggest going to the zoo after it for something light and fun.

I realize that I am crossing threads here but I hope I am helping. Some of your days (days 3 and 4 especially) are jam packed so I would try to limit it to 1 or 2 "must-sees, etc" per day then have a maybe list.

Not to add more to your list, but check out the Portrait Gallery. Its my favorite Smithsonian and worth a couple of hours. It was on our maybe list for our first trip and now we have been 3 times.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,169 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which attractions are not to miss

I would not consider the Bureau of Engraving and Printing to be a must-see. The same with the Woodrow Wilson House. It is for someone with a specific interest, not a Washington landmark. The Smithsonian museums with the free entrance would be better than the Crime & Punishment Museum for a first-time visitor.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,641 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which attractions are not to miss

I would not consider any of those to be a "must see" for a first-time visitor. I have been to all of them except the Woodrow Wilson House.

Post Office Museum-an hour or less

Newseum (great museum, but not a must-see for a first trip unless you are here for a long time)--full day

Bureau of Printing and Engraving--an hour or less

Museum of Crime and Punishment (very cool museum, but not a must-see)--4 hours minimum

Alpharetta
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which attractions are not to miss

Thank you for your help! And I'm happy to receive any tips, so no problem crossing my two thread! ;-) I'm happy to hear others shared my same excitement and therefore initially put together an overzealous itinerary too! I was actually thinking just what you mentioned, about having a maybe list as well. Looks like that's the way we'll be going!

Thanks again!

5. Re: Which attractions are not to miss

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 June 2013, 16:22
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which attractions are not to miss

Phoenix, do you have an undisclosed interest in that dining website? You've plugged it in about a dozen threads in the last three days, including some like this one where it only barely fits.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which attractions are not to miss

Especially with the Washington Monument closed for earthquake related renovations/repairs, I think the Old Post Office is probably the best view of the city. If you have time, taking the ride to the top of the tower is definitely worth it (IMHO).

dctravel

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,112 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which attractions are not to miss

How long is the visit? One day and nice weather, just walk and the mall and tidal basin. Raining, pick a Smithsonian museum or 2.

9. Re: Which attractions are not to miss

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2014, 07:17