We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus tour from washington dc to Niagara falls

B M
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Bus tour from washington dc to Niagara falls

Hi,

I'm currently living in Annapolis and looking for a tour to Niagara falls. Is there any 2/3 day bus tour available from Washington DC? looking for a bus tour because of budget constraints.

All I could find is tours from New York and commuting to New York via Washington DC within strict timeline seems challenging as I not well aware of the places.

Thanks!

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
118 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus tour from washington dc to Niagara falls

Can't help with an organized tour, but you can take Amtrak (train) to either New York City or to Niagara Falls. From Annapolis the new carrollton amtrak station or bwi amtrak station would be the most convenient (No need to go all the way into DC.) One way as low was $91 from new carrollton, or $85 from bwi to Niagara Falls but it is a long trip, about 14 hours including a change in New York.

Another option is to fly Southwest from BWI to Buffalo/Niagara Falls Airport, as low as $72 each way, with flight time of just over an hour. Not sure about ground transportation from the airport to Niagara Falls though.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus tour from washington dc to Niagara falls

There aren't too many bus tours that travel 450 miles to visit a place that you can see in one day, then go back the 450 miles. Flying into Buffalo is the easiest and cheapest way. If you can get a bus or rent a car and go to the Canadian side, which is more interesting (take your passport). You can stay overnight in one a hundred hotels on either side or in Buffalo at a very low price. You could get a 9AM plane, for example, be at the Falls by 12:00, enjoy that day and the next day and take a 7 PM plane back. You could also visit other nearby places like Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, during those two days, by driving along the Niagara River Parkway (or whatever it's called) north to N-o-t-L, also.

If you have a week, go to Toronto for the other 5 days. The Rainbow Bridge from NY to Ontario is not crowded for Customs very often, but give yourself 40 minutes to get through just in case (just the line of traffic; you'll spend about 1/2 minute talking to the officer if all seems right).

FINAL THOUGHT: Megabus goes from Washington and Frederick to Toronto via Buffalo overnight for very little money. Look at their website for details.

Edited: 23 May 2013, 18:18
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus tour from washington dc to Niagara falls

Is it too much of a rush to fly up from DC and back within a day? I will be there in November but will only have limited spare time.

Edited: 22 September 2013, 14:23
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,410 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus tour from washington dc to Niagara falls

It does seem a bit crazy to fly to Niagara Falls for the day, especially in November. You must be a very big fan of waterfalls. It is impressive, but it is only water falling over a cliff.

Don't forget the cost of getting from the airport to the falls and back.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus tour from washington dc to Niagara falls

Would you go to Darwin for a day?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus tour from washington dc to Niagara falls

Thanks. Not No, a big fan of waterfalls- just my second time there and STILL haven't had the opportunity to get to the falls..... perhaps one day..

Thanks for the info though.

:)

Edited: 22 September 2013, 15:23
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus tour from washington dc to Niagara falls

No thanks for the unnecessary sarcasm - the idea of this forum is to share information. Sad you seem to have lost the spirit of that concept. I hope such kindness is returned to you one day.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,085 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus tour from washington dc to Niagara falls

Juldi, I have a real question which is not at all meant to be sarcastic, offensive, etc. It's just something I've been wondering about for awhile.

Q: I have read lots of questions on this forum and talked to lots of Australians (I used to live there) about visiting Niagara Falls. It seems to be of great interest to overseas visitors, particularly Australians. Is there a reason for this? Is Niagara Falls highlighted in Australian travel advertisements about the U.S.? I wonder because, although I have actually been there, I don't see Niagara Falls as being a big tourist destination for 85% or more of Americans.

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,410 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus tour from washington dc to Niagara falls

I'm also curious about the attraction of Niagara Falls. And I don't think NorthofDC was being sarcastic when he asked his question. During November, when the Niagara Falls area often has winter weather with lake-effect snows, it is not a day trip out of DC that many people would even consider.

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,112 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus tour from washington dc to Niagara falls

I don't know how you got sarcasm from that remark. He offered a good comparison for you, based on seeing that you were from Perth.