We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving

newcastle on tyne UK
Level Contributor
52 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Thanksgiving

Hi. My wife and I will be visiting the USA from England later in the year. We will be in Washington over Thanksgiving. Will there be any restaurants open or transport running?

Paul & Lesley

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,810 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving

Restaurants will be open and many will be serving special Thanksgiving meals. If you want a Thanksgiving dinner, you will need to make a reservation. Metro will be running on a holiday schedule--later opening/earlier closing/fewer trains. The museums will be open and packed with visitors!

richmond
Level Contributor
926 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving

All the museums will be open Thanksgiving day and SUPER busy the next day. So if you are there Thursday I would hit up some of the more popular ones.

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving

Yes, Thanksgiving day, and the days preceding are great days to visit the museums with no crowds. However the day after will be crazy crowded in the popular museums (American History, Natural History, Air & Space.) This is a good day for the National gallery of Art, or the American Art museum, or anything besides the top 3.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving

I think the previous poster is wrong, but the advice is the same from me. All the museums will be pretty crowded every single day of that week, excluding maybe the late afternoon of Thanksgiving Day. That said, they are always more crowded than most museums anywhere, meaning they are a lot like the British Museum, always popular but not overwhelmingly so except in April.

I'd just go to any you want to go to and not worry about crowds. Once you leave the central area of a museum and go into the rooms, it's always fine.

I have worked at an Info desk at a Smithsonian museum all the time during Thanksgiving week, and it's never empty then and it's never been overwhelmingly crowded either.

If you want an empty Smithsonian, go on a Tuesday in late January or February, when it's sleeting but not snowing; then it's empty.

Edited: 23 May 2013, 18:32
newcastle on tyne UK
Level Contributor
52 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanksgiving

Thanks for all your advice. Looks like the trip is ON!

6. Re: Thanksgiving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 06:17