We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help for first time visitor

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Help for first time visitor

I am visiting Washington for the first time in September with my partner. We will be catching the train down from New York on the Sunday then will have 2 full days before flying to Nashville from Baltimore on Wednesday.

We are interested in seeing the following - Natural History and Air & Space Museums, National Zoo, White House and National Mall area, maybe the Washington monument and Lincoln memorial. So I have a few questions......

1. Will we have time to see all the above or can you recommend what is better?

2. What would be a suitable hotel in easy walking distance from these places? If further then walking how is best to get around?

3. Recommendations for good restaurants in area of hotel??

Thanx in advance for your help....

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,137 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help for first time visitor

You should be able to do all those things if you have 2 full days. The Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial are part of the National Mall. As for the White house, I assume you're just planning to walk by and have a look?

As for a hotel, it would help if you post your exact dates and what your nightly room budget is. That way, you will get helpful suggestions.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,725 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help for first time visitor

Except for the National Zoo everything you mention is on or near The Mall. And getting there from all over the area is easy using Metro. But if it is in your budget, staying close gives you a better experience. Check this map: nps.gov/PWR/…NPS-Map-Washington-DC.pdf

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help for first time visitor

Thank you for the suggestions and thank you Darrell for the map, that is a great help to see where everything is!!!

We will be arriving in Washington via train from New York on Sunday 15th September and flying out to Nashville from Baltimore on Wednesday 18th September. Please suggest Accom around The Mall / White House area, happy to spend around the $250-$300 a night mark???

Also one other question is it easy to get to Baltimore Airport?? I have read can do train or there is also shuttles the are easy to book.

California
Level Contributor
5 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help for first time visitor

Try Churchill Residence Suites - $199 for a one bedroom www.furnishedhousing.com A one bedroom condo is much nicer than a hotel room. We are going in June and this was given as a good recommendation by someone who has stayed there. Hope this helps.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help for first time visitor

Churchill Residence Suites appears to be a service (which I've never heard of), not a location. They purport to have about 16 locations in D.C. Some look to be in good areas for tourists. Others are definitely not. So that $199 for a one bedroom could be a good deal or a recipe for disaster depending on the street address. Be careful.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
106 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help for first time visitor

I have never stayed in a hotel in DC since I live here. However, I travel a lot and try to stay in a Kimpton hotel whenever I can because they are unique and, in my experience, have great service. There are a couple of them in the area you are looking for. The Hotel Monaco and the George look like they are a little above your budget at $350 per night. The location of the Hotel Monaco is outstanding. However, the Donovan House looks like it is right in your budget at $250 per night.

If you are interested, I got those rates by using the discount code "TNC" on top of the "Best Available Rate". I just booked a Kimpton hotel in both Denver and San Fran so that is how I'm aware of the current discounts. As an aside, if you decide to stay at a Kimpton you can join their rewards program (free) for free internet and money to use in the mini bar. I also check out their facebook page before staying because they give out "secret passwords" that get you goodies if you say them at check in (like free breakfast or a bottle of wine). You can tell I've stayed at them a lot because I've figured out the ropes. :)

If those don't fit your needs, I would look at the hotel rankings on tripadvisor and pay close attention to the reviews for whatever place you are considering. There are quite a few hotels downtown and I'm sure many of them will meet your needs.

I agree with the above poster that you should be careful with the previous suggestion.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,827 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help for first time visitor

Speedy, to find out how to get to BWI Airport from D.C., check out the second of the "Top Questions" to right of the screen.

8. Re: Help for first time visitor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 07:17