We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last Day and Thank Yous by JCWander

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Last Day and Thank Yous by JCWander

I had fresh legs and the prior night’s headache had subsided somewhat. The walk around the Tidal Basin and memorials was very peaceful on this last morning. The Jefferson Memorial was all I’d heard it was, as were the others. I worked my way back to Lincoln and had my lunch on the steps as I’d planned. While sitting there amongst the various races, cultures, ages, cultural apparel, and even a photo bombing Waldo, it finally dawned on me that THIS is America. People running around, young children jumping up steps, everyone taking pictures, laughing at Waldo and his unique silliness, carrying signs in preparation for a small demonstration, and in the background was the likeness of the tolerant President Lincoln. Why the free-spirited chaos at his memorial? I don’t know, maybe because he allowed his young sons free reign of the White House, loved telling stories and enjoyed a good joke. This playfulness is the greatest tribute we as Americans can pay in homage to his memory.

Thank you everyone who helped me plan my trip and gave me ideas for visiting places I would never have found on my own. I do appreciate your help and kindness in the process, and you provide an invaluable service to DC’s visitors. I thank you.

One last thing, before I left to go back and pack, I saw an older gentleman standing before the Gettysburg Address. He was alone, reading the Address. His crutch and the lean of his posture touched me so. It’s my favorite picture of the whole trip. I hope you like it.

http://jcwander.shutterfly.com/pictures/297

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,377 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last Day and Thank Yous by JCWander

Thank you for your reports about your visit to DC. They were interesting to read and gave a different perspective than many reports here. Despite some difficulties, you obviously had a good time and saw a lot.

Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last Day and Thank Yous by JCWander

You took some great pictures. Have a safe trip home.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,225 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last Day and Thank Yous by JCWander

Really nice pics and TR thanks for posting your journey.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Last Day and Thank Yous by JCWander

Thanks ~ I did have a wonderful time and I am proud of myself for navigating the Metro, and walking some pretty long distances. And I did make my peace with the Jr Hi-ers ~ I hope they will always remember the opportunity they had to visit. I wish I could have afforded to send my kids when they were in school. I love taking pictures, and I'm glad some folks enjoyed them.

I found the people there friendly and helpful. I didn't meet one crabby person! That's saying something. Oh, I was also impressed with how CLEAN DC is! Good job, DC!

jc

5. Re: Last Day and Thank Yous by JCWander

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2014, 06:20