We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backpacks in the National Archives?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Williamston...
Level Contributor
808 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Backpacks in the National Archives?

Anyone have current knowledge if taking a backpack into the National Archives is okay? It says on their website to leave them behind to expedite the security check, but is that the same thing as absolutely forbidden? Anyone been in there lately and noticed people with backpacks?

Washington...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Backpacks in the National Archives?

You'll be fine with a backpack--you'll just have to get it screened. I think they just put that on there to try their best before the fact to cut down on security wait time.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,557 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Backpacks in the National Archives?

I'm consciously not taking a backpack for my trip to DC because I'm concerned that events in Boston may have tightened up security rules relating to backpacks.... Not sure about this but don't want to get shut out of anything. I had to walk around the Met in NY holding my wallet because they don't allow backpacks...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,596 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Backpacks in the National Archives?

Any place with a crowd, a backpack annoys others. In some places in DC they will require you to carry it in your hand, not have it on your back. I can't count the number of times I have been banged by an unthinking backpack wearer on Metro.

4. Re: Backpacks in the National Archives?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 07:17