We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe Hotels in Wash DC

NYC
4 posts
Save Topic
Safe Hotels in Wash DC

I am travelling with my friend and our two children; age 10 to Wash DC. I am looking into hotels and have been told to avoid unsafe areas. The two hotels I am looking at are: The Marriott Metro on 12th NW and the Marriott at Dupont Circle on 22nd st NW. I am told the Metro is closer to sites but not as safe. Is this true? Someone please advise Thanks! or suggest other safe hotels!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe Hotels in Wash DC

Either hotel would be fine. Yes you may want to use a few street smarts any place in DC but both of the hotels are in "safe" neighborhoods.

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,889 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe Hotels in Wash DC

Who told you to avoid "unsafe areas" and why did they think they were "unsafe?" Who told you the Metro was unsafe?

NYC
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe Hotels in Wash DC

Thanks!

I am leaning towards the Marriott Metro because of its "walking distance" to Smithsonian, National Mall etc. We plan to use the metro to get around. I understand there are some nice restaurants in that neighborhood as well such as Old Ebbitt Grille. I know this is downtown DC, is it quiet at night? Thanks for your input

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,066 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe Hotels in Wash DC

Someone has led you astray about safety in DC. Yes, it is a city and it does have some crime. But most of the city is quite safe, especially the areas where any tourists are likely to find themselves. The Marriott Metro Center is right in the center of downtown DC and is one of the most convenient hotels in the city. If you have been reading this forum, and you should, you would often see it recommended. It is almost on top of the very safe Metro Center station with three of the Metro lines. But it is also an easy walk down to The Mall and some of the usual sights. And it is just a few blocks from the very lively Penn Quarter area where you wil find more restaurants and many people on the streets until late at night.

The Washington Marriott on 22nd Street NW is also very safe, but not nearly as convenient for most tourists. If the prices are similar, go with the Marriott Metro Center.

Edited: 30 May 2013, 01:22
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,066 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe Hotels in Wash DC

Old Ebbitt Grill is very popular with tourists, for unknown reasons. It is part of the Clyde's Group, but is probably the least comfortable. All have similar menus. I recommend either the Clyde's of Gallery Place on 7th Street NW or The Hamilton at 14th and F Streets NW. Nicer places all around.

NYC
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe Hotels in Wash DC

Yes I have seen the Marriott Metro recommended on this forum and I am glad to see you concur!

Thanks I am planning on booking it.

NYC
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe Hotels in Wash DC

Thanks for the suggestions...I will look into the other places and the Penn Quarter

8. Re: Safe Hotels in Wash DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2014, 05:16