We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from Louisiana to Washington D.C.

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisiana
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip from Louisiana to Washington D.C.

My family will be driving from Shreveport, LA to Washington D.C. in July. It will be my husband, myself, a 21 yr old son, 18 yr old daughter, and 14 year old daughter. I've been to D.C. and know what there is to do and see there, unless anyone has any suggestions on what the teenagers will like. Mainly what I need to know is what might we stop and do or see along the way. I'm thinking mountain activities, historical stuff and things for the kids to do. Also, does anyone know of any really good places to eat along the way or while in D.C.? We don't like anything fancy, it's just not us. We're into diners and the like. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

richmond
Level Contributor
909 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip from Louisiana to Washington D.C.

Charlottesville VA would be great for a few nights. There is hiking and Jeffersons home Monticello is really interesting. In DC Logan's Tavern near Logan's Circle is a fun casual restaurant. Check out their menu online.if you are staying someplace with a kitchen you can pick up good prepared food from Trader Joes.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
12,195 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip from Louisiana to Washington D.C.

You'd probably enjoy some good Texas BBQ. Hill Country in the Penn Quarter of D.C. (near the Verizon Center) is my choice. It's a large table/cafeteria line sort of place so it sounds line the kind of place you'd like. Also, this summer, Hill Country is doing a limited menu (3- 4 items) on the grounds of the National Building Museum. We were there a couple weeks ago and it was fun--BBQ and music!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip from Louisiana to Washington D.C.

You will be almost there by the time you get to Virginia, but check out http://www.virginia.org/ for some great Virginia vacation ideas. The bottom is Virginia is about 5 hours from DC.

While you're driving through Virginia, you may want to check out Luray Caverns on a small detour from the trip. http://luraycaverns.com/

Even if you've seen caverns before, walking into Luray will take your breath away.

Last year we drove from New Orleans to Washington without stopping so we didn't see a lot on the way, but Virginia has a lot to offer for family vacationers.

4. Re: Road trip from Louisiana to Washington D.C.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2014, 06:17