We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Air & Space Museum On Two sites?

London,UK
Level Contributor
157 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Is the Air & Space Museum On Two sites?

Hi,

As the title says (!) is the Air & Space museum on two different sites and if it is are both reccomneded to visit? And what is the dirrence between the two?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,138 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Air & Space Museum On Two sites?

There is the original on the Mall and Udvar Hazy annex near Dulles. Do you need to do both- NO. but is UH worth visiting- sure. The websites have info on all the different planes. UH has a concorde, space shuttle, Enola Gay and other larger historic items that there is just not room for at the Mall location.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Air & Space Museum On Two sites?

In short, yes, the Air and Space Museum has two different locations or campuses. The National Mall location is the original Air and Space Museum that almost everyone talks about. It includes many different exhibits of flight and space and includes many of the classic aircraft you are likely to want to visit (Wright Brothers plane, Apollo capsules, etc...).

The other site location is out near Dulles Airport and is called the Udvar-Hazy Center. It is a essentially a giant hanger type building that includes exhibits of full scale aircraft including the SR-71 Blackbird, the Space Shuttle Discovery, and numerous other types of planes.

Both museums are free, but it costs $15/car to part at the Dulles facility.

I love both facilities, but the experience is a bit different at each (National Mall is more traditional museum, Udvar-Hazy is an awesome chance to look up close at all kinds of air and space crafts. For more information on each check out http://www.si.edu/Museums

dctravel

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,948 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Air & Space Museum On Two sites?

While you can take public transportation to the Udvar-Hazy Museum (time-consuming) or a taxi (expensive), it's best to visit if you have a car.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,443 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Air & Space Museum On Two sites?

If you are an A&S Buff, go to Udvar Hazy. Best air museum that I have been to. Its got an amazing display of planes, jets and rockets including the Discovery Space Shuttle. Lots of last remaining planes too. However, its a major time commitment to get there and back and probably a full day to visit (I have spent 2 days wandering around there). The one on the Mall is still great but its more compact and a lot busier and does not have a lot of large planes for obvious reasons. This would be a great introduction to Air and Space but its not as breath-taking as Udvar Hazy. My comment 2 years ago (after my 1st day at UH) was the Mall is an appetizer and Udvar Hazy is a 5 course meal for any A&S Buffs.

London,UK
Level Contributor
157 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Air & Space Museum On Two sites?

Thanks very much for the information as my guide books aren't clear on what the difference in both sites is.

I am not a flight buff to say the least but my my hubbie absolutely is! We will visit both sites as this will be a unique chance for him to do something he'll love. I have booked the trip for September as a surprise for him. We're 50 and the 2nd world war and Vietnam war (particulalry aviation) have been his life long interest so I know he'll have so much to see and do in Washington.

Thanks again.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,443 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the Air & Space Museum On Two sites?

Enjoy it. Your husband will be in his glory there. Very large military display

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the Air & Space Museum On Two sites?

If you are going to have a rental car, and he has an interest in military history generally, consider a visit to the U.S. Marine Corps museum in Quantico, VA. It'll take you about an hour to get there from downtown D.C., depending on traffic. They have a few different aircraft (not as many as the Air & Space of course) but have galleries dedicated to the role of the Marines in WWII, Vietnam, and other conflicts. Details here: http://www.usmcmuseum.com/index.asp

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,948 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the Air & Space Museum On Two sites?

Ditto Warthog's recommendation for the National Museum of the Marine Corps. I've been there three times and always find something new and interesting. Your husband could easily spend half-a-day (or more) in this museum if he's a military history fan.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
201 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the Air & Space Museum On Two sites?

You can get to Quantico by train and take a cab to the museum.

London,UK
Level Contributor
157 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the Air & Space Museum On Two sites?

Thank you for the suggestion to visit the National Museum of the Marine Corps, right up my husbands street! I'll be off to look at the website now,thanks again.