We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chalottesville to Baltimore Stop DC on the way?

Sheffield
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Chalottesville to Baltimore Stop DC on the way?

Hello guys

We are travelling to Baltimore tomorrow and want to know if it is viable to stop over in DC for the day?

Is it possible to leave our car on the out skirts and get the metro or train in to town or is it just not worth the effort for the time we will spend there.

We are going to see a baseball game in Baltimore the following day before moving on to Gettysburg so we don't have many options.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,511 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chalottesville to Baltimore Stop DC on the way?

I am not sure I understand the focus of your question. Why wouldn't it be viable for someone to stop by DC for a day?

On the other hand, we are expecting dangerous weather conditions tomorrow throughout the day. So for that reason, it may not be a good day to visit DC tomorrow.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chalottesville to Baltimore Stop DC on the way?

Yes, quite doable. Although I'd suggest you simply drive into the city and pay to park for the day (e.g. at the Reagan Building), rather than parking at an outer Metro stop. To get from Charlottesville to Baltimore you will need to cross the entire DC area (if you look at the Beltway I-495 as being the dial of a clock, you'll arrive at the 9 PM radial and exit town at the 2 PM radial). If you park on the Virginia side when you arrive, you are back-tracking into terrible traffic in the evening. If you drive around and park on the Maryland side when you arrive, you are fighting through traffic in the morning and then back-tracking. If you drive into the city, the traffic won't be great but at least you're not covering distances twice.

If you are really averse to driving in the city, then all things being equal I'd drive all the way around to the Greenbelt Metro (go to www.wmata.com for directions) in Maryland and take the train back into the city from there. You will avoid terrible evening traffic in VA and put yourself closer to Baltimore at day's end.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chalottesville to Baltimore Stop DC on the way?

Thanks for your replies chaps

I have looked at the weather this morning and like you say its not going to be good for walking around the city, let alone travelling.

I'm going to give it a miss this time, there is no need trying to spoil a great road trip by cramming too much in at the end.

This is our first visit so next time.

Cheers

John

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chalottesville to Baltimore Stop DC on the way?

That's a sensible conclusion. If you've not previously visited D.C. you really should plan on at least two nights, and ideally three or four, for your next visit.

5. Re: Chalottesville to Baltimore Stop DC on the way?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2014, 06:17