We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Hyatt Hotel Washington DC , 1000 H St NW

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
607 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Hyatt Hotel Washington DC , 1000 H St NW

Hi!

Would appreciate that if anyone can tell us if the captioned hotel is near the Amtrak station?

And how far is it to the airport?

Thanks

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,339 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Hyatt Hotel Washington DC , 1000 H St NW

That hotel is conveniently located in downtown DC, which is not far from the Amtrak Union Station. It is not within comfortable walking distance though. You can take a short taxi ride, or the Circulator Bus for $1 to get there.

Which of the three airports you are flying into? If it is Dulles International (IAD), then it is about an hour drive away from downtown DC. It has nothing to do with your hotel choice, it is the location of the airport that is far.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,966 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Hyatt Hotel Washington DC , 1000 H St NW

As with any city, all inside the city hotels are about the same distance from the airport, and it makes almost no difference where you stay as far as airports are concerned. Especially BWI and IAD, which are 30 and 25 miles from the White House. DCA is close (about 5 miles) but since one has to take a bridge into Virginia to get to it, it's about the same distance from every in-town DC hotel.

And the hotel you picked is one mile from Union Station. You can walk or you can take the Metro the 2 stops to Gallery Place, and walk out the 9th St exit, which is 9th and G, two blocks from 10th and H (get it? 1000 H = 10th and H).

Edited: 14 June 2013, 16:23
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,729 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Hyatt Hotel Washington DC , 1000 H St NW

NorthofDC apparently doesn't know that you can get to the Grand Hyatt from the Metro Center station without going outside. So don't get off at Gallery Place if you decide to take Metro.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Hyatt Hotel Washington DC , 1000 H St NW

There is a Hyatt closer to the Amtrak Station (Union Station). It is the Hyatt Regency on New Jersey Avenue, NW. I have always thought the Grand Hyatt is nicer and it is certainly in a better location for restaurants.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Hyatt Hotel Washington DC , 1000 H St NW

"I have always thought the Grand Hyatt is nicer and it is certainly in a better location for restaurants."

I have to agree that the Grand Hyatt is in a better location for restaurants, though they aren't that terribly far apart in the sense that you can walk to many of the same restaurants from the Capitol Hill Hyatt, it just may be a longer walk in some cases. But I was just in the Capitol Hill Hyatt recently and their newly renovated rooms are very nice. So are the newly renovated ones at the Grand Hyatt, but I'm not sure the Grand Hyatt has all its rooms renovated yet...

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
607 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Hyatt Hotel Washington DC , 1000 H St NW

Thank you for all comments.

We shall proceed booking with Grand Hyatt .

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Hyatt Hotel Washington DC , 1000 H St NW

Excellent choice. I would encourage you to request a newly renovated room, just to be safe in case they are not all finished with the renovations yet. The old rooms were kind of shabby, but the new ones look amazing!

Safe travels,

AM13

Minnesota
Level Contributor
445 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Hyatt Hotel Washington DC , 1000 H St NW

We are staying at the Grand Hyatt right now and its a great choice. You will be in a great location, the rooms are clean and nice, the bathroom has plenty of space and we have been able to walk almost everywhere. The metro is just below the hotel so its super convenient as well.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
607 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Hyatt Hotel Washington DC , 1000 H St NW

A bit disappointed because it has been full when we booked.

Now, we have to switch to Capitol Hilton

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,966 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Hyatt Hotel Washington DC , 1000 H St NW

It's called the CapitAl Hilton (The District of Columbia is our Capital; the building with the dome is the Capitol). I think that's an even better location.

You step outside, look to your left, you see the White House and the Washington Monument. It's an excellent location: restaurants, famous places, the Metro 2 blocks away; the 32 and 36 buses to the Mall and the Capitol "two inches" away on H St; the same buses on I (sometimes written "Eye") St, to Georgetown. Connecticut Avenue leading to Dupont Circle is 2 blocks away.

Edited: 18 June 2013, 17:18