We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to the Nat'l Mall from Hilton Crystal City

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
49 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get to the Nat'l Mall from Hilton Crystal City

What is the best way to get to the Nat'l Mall from Hilton Crystal City? Also, are backpacks allowed in most museums? For the places they are not allowed, is there (affordable) storage located on site? I will be in DC from 7/4-7/7 this year.

Thanks!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,518 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to the Nat'l Mall from Hilton Crystal City

Your hotel has a shuttle that will run you to the Metro station at National Airport. Or you can walk to the station at Crystal City but it's a bit of a hike.

Not sure why you'd need a backpack to visit a museum, but here is what the Smithsonian website has to say about it:

"Do not bring large daypacks, backpacks, or luggage into the museums, as they will be subject to a lengthy search in each building entered. Leave such items on the tour or school bus or in a hotel room."

http://www.si.edu/Visit/Security

richmond
Level Contributor
905 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to the Nat'l Mall from Hilton Crystal City

Most museums have storage areas with lockers which makes it more comfortable walking around. If you do carry it with you they will tell you that it cannot be on your back.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,305 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get to the Nat'l Mall from Hilton Crystal City

You can carry it everywhere, but the museum security officers (they don't like being called guards, though everyone does it) will probably poke a stick around it and look in it every time.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
210 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get to the Nat'l Mall from Hilton Crystal City

I totally agree with NorthofDC -- the stick-poking, but I bet Boston changed everything. I'd skip the backpack thing. The get hot anyway -- against you. This place can get searing hot.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
49 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get to the Nat'l Mall from Hilton Crystal City

Reason for a backpack is so I'm not unevenly weighing myself down with any bags w/ souveniers I buy. Figure instead of a purse just toss it all in a backpack. I hear the highs are around 90 now, which is nothing considering that is fairly cool where I live. :) Thanks for the tips!

6. Re: Best way to get to the Nat'l Mall from Hilton Crystal City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2014, 05:17