We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Review

Chico, California
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary Review

I'm planning a DC trip for my 10yr old son and I. We would arrive the night of July 5th and either leave the 9th or 10th.

Saturday-

Monuments

FDR

White house, photos

Sunday-

Smithsonian

National Archives

Bureau of Engraving and Printing

Monday-

Arlington Cemetery

Capitol

Pentagon?? Can we go without a reservation?

Leave Tue or have an extra day to do what we ran out of time to do and leave Wednesday.

Any suggestions on what he would enjoy at FDR, there are a few options..

Spy museum worth a stop?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
The Pentagon
The Pentagon
1,065 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Review

The Smithsonian is multiple museums, each of which one could spend many hours in. I think you need to narrow down which Smithosnian museums you want to go to. The Air and Space Museum alone is worth three or four hours, for example.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Review

"Saturday-

Monuments

FDR

White house, photos"

As matt pointed out, the Smithsonian is multiple museums. I would pick another museum and do it on Saturday. When done with the museum, head to the White House then the Monument Tour with lunch mixed in some place.

Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
6,781 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
151 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Review

Off the bat--bare in mind that's a holiday weekend and A LOT of people will be in town--A LOT. I avoid DC like the plague aside from coming into work around the 4th. Not to say you shouldn't, but just keep it in mind it may be crowded.

Folks have said it, but the Smithsonian museums are a compilation of several museums largely located along the Mall (which is between Constitution & Independence avenues). Honestly, I would make your Sunday and Monday a combination of museums and monuments. The monuments aren't necessarily close together and in my opinion are maybe 30 minute at each, tops, especially with a young one who may find them rather boring.

You have a 10 year old son so unless he's into art (quite possible), I would probably suggest Air & Space, Native American Indian, American History and the Castle. For a few bucks, you can also do the Spy Museum (it's not on the Mall and is by the Verizon Ctr/Chinatown). The Newseum also costs money, but may be interesting.

I don't know about Pentagon tours. The last one I went on was pre-9/11 and I'm sure they've tightened it considerably. If you will have a car, Mt. Vernon may be an interesting out-of-the-city escape. Arlington National Cemetary is good and will probably take you two hours. It's not really close to the Capitol, but you could walk over to it from the Lincoln Memorial. (In the middle of the day Metro takes a good 20 minutes to show up and then 20 minutes to get you where you're going--often it's as fast to walk it or better yet, bike it).

What are the options at FDR? I think of that as somewhere where I go to play softball and that's about it. The paddleboats are down by the Jefferson (off Maine Ave/15th).

Also, contact your Congressman or Senator's office before visiting and drop in. They may have some sort of trinket and at a minimum, it shows your son the civic side of where everything comes from. The only other thing I think a 10yo would really enjoy in DC is probably the Zoo. It's free and is off the Metro (not walkable from downtown). And that's the final piece of advice, make sure you're prepared to walk a lot. It's a walkable city, but everything will require some walking. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Chinatown
Chinatown
432 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
The Pentagon
The Pentagon
1,065 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,787 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Review

"Any suggestions on what he would enjoy at FDR, there are a few options."

It's an outdoor memorial with water features and sculpture, along with quotes from FDR. Not sure what you are thinking of asking that question. http://www.nps.gov/frde/index.htm

The Bureau of Engraving and Printing is not open on weekends or holidays.

You cannot take a tour of the Pentagon without arranging it ahead of time and being vetted. It is also boring unless you are a fan of huge office buildings. You can visit the Pentagon 9/11 Memorial at any time on your own.

Mentioned in this post
The Pentagon
The Pentagon
1,065 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Chico, California
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Review

The Ford Theatre is what I meant..my son is not into art. I imagine we'll do the air & space museum. I wasn't really worried about pinning down to any others in particular..just see what looks good when we got there.

Chico, California
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Review

Is this better?

Saturday-

Air & Space

White House

Monuments

Arlington

Sunday-

American History Museum

Smithsonian Castle

Nat'l Archives

Spy Museum-if time

Monday-

Bureau of Engraving and Printing

Capitol

Ford Theatre?

Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
6,781 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Review

Make sure to get timed tickets to the Archive, Capitol and Fords Theatre

Chico, California
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Review

Alright, we now have airline tickets! This is my outline (shorthand):

Any suggestions would be great!

Saturday

Spy museum or Newseum

Ford Theatre

White House

Monuments ending at Lincoln

Walk? to Arlington cemetery

Sunday

A&S

N History

Am History

Castle

Nat'l Archives

Monday

Would it be worth it to take Amtrak to Penn to see the liberty bell??

Tue

Capitol

Engraving

Newseum or Spy

Leave Wed morning early!

I dont have a room yet, I'm going to use a discount site that lets me pick the area and star rating, as Ive had good luck in the past. Any suggestion for the two of us? Capitol Hill, priceline offers North and South even. White House area, Dupont, Georgetwon, etc.

Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
6,781 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Amtrak
Amtrak
21 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Review

"Would it be worth it to take Amtrak to Penn to see the liberty bell?"

That is up to you but as much as I enjoy Philly, I would leave it for another trip and spread Sunday out a little bit.

I would actually do Arlington Cemetery that morning then a museum in the afternoon after that.

Mentioned in this post
Amtrak
Amtrak
21 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
washington dc
Level Contributor
4,457 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary Review

"What are the options at FDR?" It is, in my opinion, the best designed, most interesting, thought-provoking, and for kids - fun - of all the memorials! Not as iconic as Lincoln of course, but is always #1 on my list for visitors. It is right next to MLK.