We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cocktails & Dinner.... Escape from mummy-ville!

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
38 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Cocktails & Dinner.... Escape from mummy-ville!

I have a friend visiting from UK and we will be enjoying a precious couple of days sightseeing (& Segway tour!) without the kids. We'll be staying at The Willard on Penn & looking for bar & restaurant advice. It'll be a Thursday night, happy to cab somewhere not within walking distance. Looking for a cocktail bar (pref with view of city) to kick back and relax first followed by a restaurant with a good vibe - American/European cuisine. Nothing too pricey and fancy but somewhere we can feel comfortable getting a bit dressed up for. I have lived local-ish for a couple of years & visited DC a dozen times or so but never for a night without my young children - so knowledge of suitable places sadly lacking! Thanks in advance

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
891 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cocktails & Dinner.... Escape from mummy-ville!

There aren't many restaurants with a city view, there's one place - POV - Point of View, and you can see the White House from there, and Virginia.

For fancy cocktails - go to Poste, they have an inner courtyard that gets fancy on weekends. I also like Proof - it's a wine bar/restaurant, around Verizon Center on 9th st NW.

Too many options for dinner - start by looking here: washingtonian.com/packages/…

Mentioned in this post
POV Lounge
POV Lounge
812 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
White House
White House
6,861 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
891 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cocktails & Dinner.... Escape from mummy-ville!

Just thought of something for you: how about Estadio? Way better Spanish tapas than any Jaleo branch. It has a great outgoing neighborhoody vibe, and it's in Logan Circle - so it's always slightly dressy. There are tons of places to go to after. Churchkey for their huge beer list, upstairs of Pearl Dive for after dinner drinks, Bar Pilar up the street. Plus there's a new place opening up every week it seems on that stretch of 14th st. The crowd is a bit older...and more established.

I just think that part of town is more like local DC, vs downtown which is dead at night, and full of tourists.

Mentioned in this post
Estadio
Estadio
531 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Jaleo
Jaleo
2,155 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Churchkey
Churchkey
327 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
washington dc
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cocktails & Dinner.... Escape from mummy-ville!

I'd second Bar Pilar, St. Ex, definitely Pearl Dive - though I find upstairs a bit loud and young. My experience is that basically no where in the world with the great views are going to have the best of anything else you are looking for, but views can be fun. But maybe- W Hotel? Otherwise, the most cool/interesting/european stroll option is 14th St. from about P to U, then along U st.

Georgetown waterfront can be fun - and lovely river views and people watching - as long as you don't expect good food. Some here might advise Penn quarter - but that is all tourist all the time. Enjoy your escape!

Mentioned in this post
Georgetown Waterfront Park
Georgetown Waterfront...
34 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Virginia
Level Contributor
270 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cocktails & Dinner.... Escape from mummy-ville!

I am not really well-versed on bars but here are some good restaurants to look into:

Fiola - Penn Quarter, Italian, offering a nice variety of great cocktails

Boqueria - Dupont Circle, Tapas

Proof - Penn Quarter, Contemporary American, extensive wine list

Eola - Dupont Circle, Contemporary American, personal wine welcome

Have a great time in DC!

Mentioned in this post
Fiola
Fiola
807 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Dupont Circle
Dupont Circle
326 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
38 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cocktails & Dinner.... Escape from mummy-ville!

Thanks so much for all your help- looking forward to sampling!

washington dc
Level Contributor
249 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cocktails & Dinner.... Escape from mummy-ville!

Not sure what your dates are but you will be very close to the J&G Steakhouse which is outstanding. Call to me sure they are open as there maybe renovations.

14th street is loaded with choices above the circle and I really like Cork or Le Diplomate. Here is a good site to use.

www.noshdc.net

Mentioned in this post
Le Diplomate
Le Diplomate
1,684 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
749 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cocktails & Dinner.... Escape from mummy-ville!

All good suggestions! I might add, if you plan to go to POV for the view, make reservations to avoid disappointment. It's right near your hotel, so you could start or end there, then cab to another destination

Mentioned in this post
POV Lounge
POV Lounge
812 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
8. Re: Cocktails & Dinner.... Escape from mummy-ville!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2014, 05:16