We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Weekend Garden Tour Trip

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
102 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Memorial Weekend Garden Tour Trip

Having been to DC several times before to do the usual things, my cousin and I decided to come and concentrate on one of our favorite things, gardens. We stayed with my daughter in Penn Quarter, so had access to a car, which is necessary for at least one of the gardens.

Sunday morning-started off the day at Eastern market. Looked at the wares being offered and bought a few, but our main objective was brunch at Market Lunch. The Crab cakes Ben were our favorite and really enjoyed the fried green tomatoes. Next we headed to the US National Arboretum, and you really do need a car for this. Thanks to Darrell and Victoria for this advice. We loved this place, but it is HUGE no way to see it all in one day. Our main goal was the National Herb Garden and it was great, the old Capital Columns, the bonzai collection it was all beautiful.

That night we toured some of the monuments: WWII, Linclon, Korean, ML King.

Remembering some advice from last year on TA we parked the car on Ohio drive and walked. This works great and saves a lot of walking.

Monday- got out of town early, before rolling thunder rolled in. Went to Mt. Vernon and took a garden tour given by one of the docents. Skipped the house as we had all seen it several times and strolled all the gardens again on our own. Of course we had to "Meet Lady Washington", one of my favorite parts. Watched all the films and headed back to DC.

Had lobster rolls and an ice cream sandwich (one fed us all) at Luke's Lobster. Yum!

Tuesday-walked over to the Bartholdi Fountain and around those gardens, then headed over to the Botanic Garden when it opened. Loved all the giant wooden bugs on display. Spent all morning going through the different areas until our feet and stomachs said it was time for lunch. Walked across the street to the Mitsam cafe in the Museum of the American Indian. It was very good and such a fun unusual menu. We had pumpkin soup, blue corn bread, fiddle head fern salad, and pine nut tart. That seemed appropriate for our garden themed trip. Then we walked through all the sculpture gardens and several gardens between the Arts and Industries and Hirshorn, and the E side of the Natural History. Had dinner that night at Clyde's and had the crab cakes, very good.

Wednesday-went up in the Clock Tower and looked at the view, not at all crowded if you go early. Later there was a huge line. Went into the American History Museum and looked at Star Spangled Banner exhibit, one of my favorites. And a few others. Walked to Paul's and had sandwiches, then caught the metro to begin our long trip home.

Thanks for reading about a different type of trip. If you are into gardens May is beautiful in DC. The only regret was not getting to the Einstein sculpture, the garden there is supposed to very pretty, too.

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,680 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memorial Weekend Garden Tour Trip

Sounds great - next visit, include Dumbarton Oaks & Hillwood.

2. Re: Memorial Weekend Garden Tour Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2014, 07:19