We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IAD to Key Bridge Marriott, take the 5A or no?

so. California
Level Contributor
287 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
IAD to Key Bridge Marriott, take the 5A or no?

2 people with luggage, need to get to Key Bridge Marriott around 3pm on a Monday afternoon from IAD.

Is it frowned upon to bring substantial luggage onto the 5A bus and get off at Rosslyn? If so, what is my alternative? Thank you.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: IAD to Key Bridge Marriott, take the 5A or no?

Cab, Super Shuttle or Washington Flyer bus to West Falls Church Metro station and then metro to Rosslyn are you other options. 5A bus is the cheapest. I understand it can be crowded but have no personal experience.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
211 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: IAD to Key Bridge Marriott, take the 5A or no?

I took the 5 bus in 2008, 2009, 2011, and in May of this year - round trip all four trips. I find it to be excellent for my needs and I recommend it.

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: IAD to Key Bridge Marriott, take the 5A or no?

Since the 5A is primarily for airport trips, no one can "frown upon" luggage. Yes, it can be crowded Midday on a Monday should be a pretty easy trip in. The Flyer bus to West Falls Church is not much easier, doesn't save much time and costs more.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,473 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: IAD to Key Bridge Marriott, take the 5A or no?

The 5A bus is the Dulles-Airport-to-DC bus run by our local transit company, so no one will have a problem with you getting off at Rosslyn with luggage; that's the purpose of the route. And it's one of the only two stops NOT near the Airport or a Park & Ride garage in Herndon, VA.

The extra 2 miles to L'Enfant Plaza are added to the line as a courtesy to people who don't want to take the Metro, in my opinion.

Pretty soon, when the Silver Line Metro comes within 7 miles of Dulles, the 5A bus will also let most people off at the Silver Line's last stop (Wiehle Avenue) but that's not going to happen for about 8 months.

Here is the schedule and map:

www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/dc/05a.pdf

Edited: 28 June 2013, 15:26
so. California
Level Contributor
287 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: IAD to Key Bridge Marriott, take the 5A or no?

Thank you all! You've been very helpful!

6. Re: IAD to Key Bridge Marriott, take the 5A or no?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2014, 05:18