We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Partial Trip Report - Residence Inn Pentagon City Review

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norton Shores...
Level Contributor
85 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Partial Trip Report - Residence Inn Pentagon City Review

I am sadly disappointed in this hotel. Checked in on 7/3/2013. We were allowed early check in, which was great. But the room we got was not cleaned properly, with food crumbs on top of the sofa and in the pull out sofa. Items left in the refrigerator and that was also not cleaned. Some foreign objects in the king bed. The sofa-bed is extremely uncomfortable and the room size much smaller than expected. Requested a room with two beds and was told nothing was available as they were all sold out of two bed rooms. I looked online and there were rooms available. We suffered through the night and I again requested a room with 2 beds in the morning, 7/4. And the person at the desk said there was one room available as soon as the people in it checked out. Said he would have housekeeping move us to this room during the day. I was very happy with that. However, after a long day of site seeing and fireworks, we came back to find that it suddenly wasn't available. We had packed everything up anticipating being moved. They lied and I am very dissatisfied. Online still shows rooms available but staff says there are not. I will be talking to the manager today about this but I want people to know, just because it gets great reviews on Trip Advisor, your experience may be very different. Another issue was breakfast. It was tasteless, the sausage patties were microwaved, the eggs were from powder, the "fried" potatoes were either microwaved or boiled and very bland. The card for breakfast said it was open starting at 6:30am. but they did not open until 7:00. This was due to July 4 holiday but they did not inform you of this and we got ready and went down to get breakfast and instead waited half an hour. This is just very poor customer service. There were probably 100 people waiting at 6:30 for nothing. We will NOT be coming back to this hotel. And in fact, are cutting our stay here short.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
157 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Partial Trip Report - Residence Inn Pentagon City Review

Thanks for sharing your experience; I winced while reading it, but it truly helps others in weighing their options. After this bad sequence of events I really hope everything gets better and that you enjoy the rest of your stay in the DC area. As my husband and I get older, we prefer to watch the Capitol 4th musical festivities and fireworks on TV in air conditioned comfort. Today we were at the folk life festival (nice festival, but it was hot). We walked to the Capitol building and thought the clean-up crews did a great job cleaning up the area after last night's crowds.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Partial Trip Report - Residence Inn Pentagon City Review

JMHO but breakfasts in Residence Inns, or most any other hotel of this class, are very similar....

Norton Shores...
Level Contributor
85 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Partial Trip Report - Residence Inn Pentagon City Review

Additional info on Residence Inn Pentagon City....The wait for the elevator is impossibly long, Seriously, 20 minute wait and we had to take the elevator up to go down because after 20 minutes of waiting, the elevator arrived to our floor 3 times but was already full. Husband on mobility scooter so stairs are not an option. And you can't take stairs up to your room, only to exit the building.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,135 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Partial Trip Report - Residence Inn Pentagon City Review

I hope that you put your review under the "hotels" listing for this Residence Inn here on TA. That way, more people will see it than would see it in this forum.

If, after talking to the manager, you don't get a satisfactory resolution, then please write Marriott HQ about your experience.

Edited: 06 July 2013, 03:11
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
364 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Partial Trip Report - Residence Inn Pentagon City Review

Whenever I read reviews that include my free breakfast was not good it loses credibility with me. I am not saying that a dirty room is acceptable but complaining about a breakfast that is never good seems like piling on.

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Partial Trip Report - Residence Inn Pentagon City Review

Sorry to hear your experience at this Residence Inn. It will be helpful to others. I hope the manager can give you a good reason for this unacceptable experience. I do have one question, did you originally reserved a room with 2 beds? Or was it a last minute switch because the sofa was not comfortable?

I used to stay in Residence Inns a lot. Their breakfast is the average kind that you can expect at most free breakfast included class of hotels. If it can make you feel better, the scramble egg in the executive lounge of a four star Hilton I stayed last week also tasted like a hardened piece of mash potato. Eggs just do not taste good when left under a heating lamp. It was okay for me partly because it was free, and partly because it saved me time.

Norton Shores...
Level Contributor
85 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Partial Trip Report - Residence Inn Pentagon City Review

I smiled when I read your response EdofVA. Funny! The breakfast thing is really not a deal breaker for sure. They did have other choices and it was just one small thing in the overall "experience" The deal breaker for me was the elevator situation in the morning. Waiting 20 minutes to return or leave your hotel room is not acceptable to me. I have no patience.

Norton Shores...
Level Contributor
85 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Partial Trip Report - Residence Inn Pentagon City Review

BTW barbiaux, free breakfast is not really Free, you pay for it in the room price. It is a major deciding factor for some people to have that price included. It should really be referred to as the Included Breakfast rather than free. You can't just walk off the street and eat for free.

california
Level Contributor
326 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Partial Trip Report - Residence Inn Pentagon City Review

That's unfortunate you had a negative experience. We were at this same Residence Inn on June 21 for six nights and only had one time where we had about a five minute wait for the elevator. I wonder if, since you were there over July 4th, the hotel was at capacity?

midwest
Level Contributor
405 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Partial Trip Report - Residence Inn Pentagon City Review

We also were there over spring break and the hotel was sold out - it was definitely crowded but we also never waited very long for an elevator. We actually loved the hotel and would return in a heartbeat!