We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help a first timer out with his birthday itinerary?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
83 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Help a first timer out with his birthday itinerary?

First visit to D.C for my Birthday and my time in town is limited to just 2 half days any and all help would be Much appreciated? My plane touches down at 6pm on Sept 10th. and we planning on being on the Amtrak at 2pm the following day sept 11th . Im thinking of getting a hotel in crystal city so i can quickly drop off my luggage and venture out.. Just not really sure whats IS do able or open or worth visiting at night. because we leave the next afternoon.

The only thing on the bucket list is basically the Lincoln Monument and the White House.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,276 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help a first timer out with his birthday itinerary?

The Lincoln Memorial and the other monuments on The Mall and close-by are open 24/7, so you should be able to do that unless the weather is just horrible. You will find a lot of topics here on this forum about doing a walking tour of them.

The White House is not open for tours but you can walk around it anytime you would like. It is just a block or two off The Mall.

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help a first timer out with his birthday itinerary?

For such a short time - don't stay in Crystal City - stay IN the city. Sounds like you fly into DCA - the yellow line Metro will take you - in about 15 min. - directly to Penn Quarter, Gallery Place, Mt. Vernon Sq. - all of which have lots of hotels. All those places put you in the walkable heart of the city. Next day, just take a taxi to Union Station.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help a first timer out with his birthday itinerary?

I agree, you should definitely stay in the city. Lots of inexpensive options. If you stay in the Penn Quarter/Chinatown area you can easily walk to most of the monuments and museums. Georgetown is very well known too.. lots of shopping, restaurants, bars, people watching.. if it's nice out, you can walk down to the Georgetown waterfront, great place to hang out, eat, and have drinks. FYI - Penn Quarter to Georgetown is a $10 cab ride - much cheaper and more convenient than trying to get over from Crystal City.

Have a great time!

4. Re: Help a first timer out with his birthday itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2014, 05:19