We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington DC and Gettysburg

issaquah
1 post
Save Topic
Washington DC and Gettysburg

Hello, planning a trip to DC, Philadelphia and Gettysburg with elderly parents (85,83). Father a history buff and has never been. Need advice on how to gently get the most out of this visit. Not attempting to see everything because they can walk, but not miles (planning on a wheelchair). Plan on being in area 6 days.......if we need more time, will return in spring. Ideas on convenient hotels, itinerary etc. appreciated. I am thinking of flying into Phil and returning home from DC. Home base Seattle, WA. THANKS

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,108 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington DC and Gettysburg

Sounds like a lot with parents but them if not, you are asking a very generic question. You could do 2 days in each place. hotel questions are asked ask the time do finding a convenient hotel isn't a problem. Any modern hotel will new handicap accessible.

Check out Gettysburg page you can get a guide, bus tour, audio car tour.

Edited: 11 August 2013, 00:35
Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington DC and Gettysburg

At Gettysburg, you can hire a guide to ride in your car and who can personalize the tour to some extent. Your father might enjoy that.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington DC and Gettysburg

There is a density of sights here in DC with a nexus to Civil War Military History! We have a collection of Union Generals and Admirals memorialized here: Grant, McClellan, Sherman, Meade, Farragut, McPherson, Clark, Thomas, and Hancock, just to name a few. Many of these memorials are on the edges of, or near other things to see and visit on the Mall. There are the defenses of Washington and the Fort Circle Parks, with tours there as well. There are also historic sites relating to the assination of President Lincoln, to include Ford's Theater, Dr. Peterson's house across the street, and the Surratt boarding house up on H Street.

Your first day will be a travel day and after that, I would plan to focus a supermajority of your time here in DC. Most folks find a full day in Gettysburg to be sufficient unless you're a CWMH wonk attending a lecture series there as was the case last month around the time of the sesquicentennial commemoration of the battle.

In regards to getting around here in DC, I would be happy to give you the scoop on some decent options if you message me privately.

Regards, and safe travels,

Chris with DC Pedicab

4. Re: Washington DC and Gettysburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2014, 17:10
Williamston...
Level Contributor
833 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Washington DC and Gettysburg

I'm thinking you probably won't get into Philadelphia until late afternoon, so I'm not sure how much you can see the first day, though you certainly can look at the exteriors. Most of Philly's history is concentrated in a relatively small area. You certainly want to see Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell across from it. There's some things related to Ben Franklin and Betsy Ross nearby as well. You should be able to do all that on your second day and then head to Gettysburg for the night. You might be able to do one of the "ghost tours' there, if you like. On the third day, head over to the Gettysburg Museum and Visitor Center as soon as it opens--the closest parking spaces fill up fast. After 2-3 hours there, do your tour of the battlefield. That will probably take up the rest of your afternoon. In the evening, head for Washington . On the 4th-6th days, you should be able to find time to see the various memorials on the Mall and along the Tidal Basin, as well as the White House and the Capitol. Of course, you want to see the museums and the National Archives. Arlington Cemetery is something you want to see as well. If you have time, Ford's Theatre is interesting.

Snellville, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Washington DC and Gettysburg

I just wanted to chime in and say that since your father is a history buff that I would not miss the Holocaust Museum. Very moving experience. If you are going to have any young children with you I'd skip it though because it can be very intense.

7. Re: Washington DC and Gettysburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2014, 05:16