We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tentative Itinerary - Open for Comment

Level Contributor
117 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Tentative Itinerary - Open for Comment

Hi All - taking the family to DC for a quick "before summer ends" trip - thanks in advance for any input/suggestions/constructive criticism :-)

Quick facts: Family of 5, 3 boys (17, 14, 11), all except 11 y.o. have been to DC before (mom went to AU, lived in Old Towne, worked in Arlington post-college)...

Fly in 8/26 (arrive 10:15 into DCA) - shuttle to Residence Inn - Pentagon City

Day 1

Pentagon 9/11 Memorial (quick visit)

Air Force Memorial

Arlington Cemetery- Tomb of Unknown/Changing of Guard (on the half hour; closes at 7pm)

WALK TO: Iwo Jima (Marine Corps) Memorial

TAKE CAB to FFB at Washington Harbor Waterfront- have Dinner (per arlingtonman13!!)

WALK to Rock Creek Park Trail - follow to Monuments

Evening walking trip through Monuments (follow google map link)

Day 2

Bureau of Engraving - go to 15th St ticket booth by 8-8:30 for 9am tix - 40 min tour

Holocaust Museum - have 11am tix, plan on a couple hours

Air & Space Museum - EAT and then no schedule, plan on a few hours or more

--if time, walk past Supreme Court, then go up to Union Station, have dinner

METRO to Hotel

Day 3

Ford's Theater - have 9am tickets for Museum and Ranger Talk (90 mins)

Old Post Office Pavilion - take elevators to top for 360 deg photo op!

National Archives - have 12:15pm tickets (60-90 mins)

Museum of Natural History - no schedule

National Gallery of Art - no schedule

Carmine's for Dinner? OR Georgetown (by Circulator) - shop, dinner

Day 4 (Flexible, can swap with other days - depends on visits with friends and weather)

Newseum - 3-4 hours

Museum of Crime & Punishment - 3-4 hours

Carmine's OR Georgetown, whichever not done already

Day 5 (Flexible - depends on visits with friends and weather)

Day Trip excursion ?

Bike & Boat to Mt. Vernon/return to Old Towne Alex for dinner?

National Harbor - water taxi from/to Alexandria? Dining/Shopping/Kayaking

Day 6 (partial day - need to be at DCA by 3:30)

Revisit Memorials OR Eastern Market OR National Harbor ??

Union Market
Flea & Street Markets
Union Station
Architectural Buildings, Mass Transportation Systems, Shopping Malls, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Eastern Market
Flea & Street Markets
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tentative Itinerary - Open for Comment

Why would you go back to your hotel from the Air Force Memorial and then to the Metro when you could take the Metro from the Pentagon to Arlington Cemetery? Also I would find somewhere else to eat than the Old Post Office. The food court at the Regan Building or the restaurants in the neighborhood would be much better choices. On the day you visit the A & S museum I would find lunch before you go to the museum. I also would leave National Harbor off your schedule. There is really nothing there but hotels and a few restaurants. You could kayak in DC.

Rocklin, CA
Level Contributor
35 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tentative Itinerary - Open for Comment

For your Day 5 trip what about Gettysburg? We just got back and were able to combine Gettysburg with a dinner in Annapolis. Get an early start and you'll have plenty of time at the park. Also, if you're fans of the Air and Space Museum you might want to work in a couple of hours at the Udvar-Hazy Center. Space Shuttle, Enola Gay, Concorde on display. Absolutely amazing museum!

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,371 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tentative Itinerary - Open for Comment

Consider working your visit to Iwo Jima to 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday for the Marine Corps Sunset parade - an hour long drum & bugle corps - perfect for all, but especially boys - both entertaining and moving. Skip Crime and Punishment museum - it is a cheesy/creepy low rent wax museum type exploitation.

Boys of this age might be bored with Eastern Market - crafts, flea market etc. National Harbor is ghastly. Except for the (pirated!) "Awakening" statue - there is no reason to visit. Bike to Mt. Vernon is great if the weather isn't awful.

Baltimore is a great day trip - so much to do it is hard to narrow - but there are ships to visit, water taxi to Ft. McHenry is cool. If you have a car, you might also consider Great Falls on the Md. Side - 1-2 hours could do for seeing the falls, 3-5 hours would be a super hike along the Billy Goat trail and then out to the fall. If you want to kayak - Jacks boathouse in Georgetown rents them for the river.

For NGA with boys that age, you might check out their website for a little guidance. There are lots of interesting things, but also a strong possibility of getting lost in a "fruit and dead birds" gallery that will sour the young. Or consider the more accessible American Art Museum. Also, if you're near the White House, always pop into the Renwick - since it is right there, and very interesting.

On your monument tour, don't miss FDR - the best memorial of all next to Lincoln - and especially good for kids this age as there is a lot of thought/conversation/idea generating stuff.

Level Contributor
117 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tentative Itinerary - Open for Comment

Great points by all! I must have been "over thinking" the first day and completely overlooked the obvious that we can just catch the metro at the Pentagon, rather than walking back to Pentagon City. As for food at the OPO, I think it was a comment by someone on TA regarding the food there, but we are open to anything so we will just explore the area for better options. Udvar-Hazy sounds like another great add-on, thank you!

We won't have a car so I don't think Gettysburg is feasible, and Mt Vernon is definitely weather dependent. I like the idea about Baltimore - if I recall, we can train it up, right?

Bummer about Crime and Punishment...is it really bad? We've done the Spy Museum and were not impressed. I didn't know about C&P until I read something about it here. Te boys love that stuff, I wish there was another alternative.

Yes to returning to Iwo Jima for the band. That memorial is very special to me as a Marine Corps brat. I read somewhere that the bands were being allowed to make other appearances now that a little more cash was found for them despite the sequestration so I hope they'll still be there.

I'm pretty sure Arlingtonman's walking tour includes FDR's memorial, but if not, we will be sure to get over to it.

Thanks all, keep the suggestions coming please :)

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tentative Itinerary - Open for Comment

Yes there is some cheese at the C & P Museum but there are some cool things I think your sons would like such as shooting and the driving simulator. If you can get discount tickets (around $10.00) I would probably still go. I actually personally like the Spy Museum better but I have always loved James Bond, espionage etc.

Level Contributor
117 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tentative Itinerary - Open for Comment

thank you Iam91897 - I will start digging around for discounted tickets now :)

7. Re: Tentative Itinerary - Open for Comment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 07:18