We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National Mall with a baby

Curitiba, PR
6 posts
Save Topic
National Mall with a baby

Hello

I will be 2 days in DC in Thanksgiving, I will be coming from New York by car with wife and a 6 month baby..

What is the better way to meet the sights around National Mall, like White House, Lincoln, Capital, etc...

Walking I think its a loong walk...

Any other suggestion? Subway? Car and stoping arounds? Something I can rent?

Thank you!

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: National Mall with a baby

You could hire a private car. Kasper's Livery is highly recommended on this forum. It will be pricey, but with a baby, it may be the best way to do if you can afford it.

http://www.kasperlivery.com/

But plenty of families with kids visit the amll every year. There is no metro down the national mall (i.e. from the Capitol to the Washington Monument to the Lincoln Memorial). It is very walkable...nice sidewalks and paths to each monument. All in all its about 2 miles in total length. You could take a cab from one end to the other, if you wanted, I suppose.

Curitiba, PR
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: National Mall with a baby

I will consider walking! Thanks for the tip!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,223 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: National Mall with a baby

Most people put kid in a stroller

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,188 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: National Mall with a baby

Stroller.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
264 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: National Mall with a baby

Thanksgiving is a little chilly in the area (not too cold though).

Have you been to the D.C. area before? Since I'm a sightseer when I go to someone else's city, I like to do my homework before I go. Many I suggest this site as one you may use to get a few ideas:

http://www.dctours.us/?p=1

I like the hop on/hop off options, as you can sit (especially with a little one) and not have to worry about traffic, and missing attractions. You will also be able to ride by attractions you really do not want to see, however, if you want your photo op, you can jump off at the monuments, read, take pics, etc. I usually always take one of these tours in a new city, and most times you will get a narration.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
220 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: National Mall with a baby

Something to consider, there is not much in the way of services (washrooms, food/water vendors) between the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial so make sure you pack what you might need in the stoller.

7. Re: National Mall with a baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 05:18