We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DC to Mount Vernon using Metro and Taxi.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
172 posts
235 reviews
Save Topic
DC to Mount Vernon using Metro and Taxi.

Hi

We will be staying in the Georgetown area in October and want to visit George Washington's Home at Mount Vernon. I have looked at some of the options but I was wondering if I could use the Metro from Foggy Bottom to Huntington Av and then hire a cab the rest of the way. Would there be any problems with this and has anyone any idea of the cost. We will be in DC for 5 nights and want to use the Metro during our stay.

Thanks.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
211 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DC to Mount Vernon using Metro and Taxi.

I've can't speak to your idea but you might check out excursions on Viator. Grey Line may offer something.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,603 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DC to Mount Vernon using Metro and Taxi.

Yes, you can take Metro to Huntington and then get either a bus or a taxi the rest of the way to Mount Vernon. There is some info on their website: mountvernon.org/more/directions/metro-and-bus

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
151 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DC to Mount Vernon using Metro and Taxi.

If you're ambitious, you can bike to Mt. Vernon. There is a trail that runs from Rosslyn (across the Potomac River from Georgetown) all the way down to Mt. Vernon. From Rosslyn for an average ride, it's probably an hour long ride and very picturesque.

You can go from Huntington to Mt. Vernon, but they're not exactly close. I live between both and would estimate the drive time is probably 15 minutes or so.

In the late afternoon/early evening rush hour, you could also take the 11y. It's an express bus ($3.30 I think if I remember right) that runs all the way down there (www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/va/11y.pdf). But note, it's only going the direction of rush hour.

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,330 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DC to Mount Vernon using Metro and Taxi.

I have had lots of guests take the metro & bus to Mt. Vernon and said it is very easy.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
172 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DC to Mount Vernon using Metro and Taxi.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies.

The biking would have been a great option about 20 years ago but right now I am not sure if we would make it.

I have found that it would be about $20 each way in a cab from Huntington Av to Mount Vernon so I can live with that.

Thanks again.

6. Re: DC to Mount Vernon using Metro and Taxi.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2014, 05:17