We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about the US flag

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Question about the US flag

Hi all

This isn't a question about DC specifically but we are travelling there in a few weeks so I thought I'd ask your opinion on an idea my husband had this weekend

We are travelling around several US states in the north east and staying with local people in some of them. We have a Stars and Stripes flag and we thought it would be a nice memento of our holiday to get our hosts, and people we might meet at a tailgate party and various other events we are going to, to sign it. However, we are aware that this might be seen as defacing the flag and possibly be viewed as offensive. The last thing we want to do is offend anyone so we thought we'd get some opinions before we take it with us

Your thoughts are appreciated

Thanks

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,936 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about the US flag

"The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature. "

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/8

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about the US flag

I'd say many of the people you meet would not be offended. But some could be very offended. I wouldn't risk it, and find something else they could sign. Perhaps a baseball or an American football?

Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about the US flag

I like the baseball idea. There are sports collectible stores where you could buy a lucite case to keep it in.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about the US flag

Thanks everyone, from replies to the same post on other forums we have decided it's just not worth the risk of offence so the flag will be left at home but I appreciate the other ideas. A map has also been suggested so we will agree on taking something else

Thank you for your replies

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
151 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about the US flag

Maybe if it were something like a flag quilt, but I personally wouldn't sign it because I was always taught it's disrespectful to deface it, drop it, etc etc. I don't think it's really that big a deal though either.

Williamston...
Level Contributor
846 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about the US flag

There was a practice during WW2 where military personnel collected signatures of their comrades on a piece of currency. Such a piece was called a "short snorter". If there was a reunion and you couldn't produce your short snorter, you had to buy drinks for everyone. Perhaps you could collect signatures on a dollar bill. It's easy to carry around at least.

7. Re: Question about the US flag

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 06:22