We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clearing customs at IAD in DC

Plattsburgh, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Clearing customs at IAD in DC

Some help please. We are about to purchase tickets to London and will probably come back through DC with a connecting flight to Burlington VT. Will 1 1/2 hours be enough to clear customs and make it to our flight?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,166 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clearing customs at IAD in DC

Sounds too short to me, but I have never had a connection at Dulles. With sequestration there are fewer officers at Immigration and customs.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clearing customs at IAD in DC

It's dicey -- I wouldn't do it. You'll get to use the midfield Customs transfer hall rather than the main international arrivals Customs hall, which should save you a bit of time, but as noted they've been operating with reduced staff at IAD so lines have been long. I'd want at least 2.5 hours for an International - Domestic transfer at IAD.

Arlington VA
Level Contributor
70 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clearing customs at IAD in DC

Is it a continuous itinerary on the same airline? If so you are probably a little protected - they'll do their best to get you through and if you misconnect put you on the next flight. Granted, this could still be inconvenient but it just means you end up spending a night in DC.

On the other hand if it is two separate tickets it could be very inconvenient and expensive to miss your onward flight.

So I would go for it in the former situation but not risk it in the latter.

lincs, England
Level Contributor
37 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clearing customs at IAD in DC

We travelled to Washington on 22nd August. After an eight hour flight we had to stand in line for two hours. I really expect more from the US, although it was an hour and. Half to get into Vegas on Boxing Day.

Somebody somewhere needs to get their act together, talk about shutting the door after the horse has bolted ( 9/11 !!!)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,739 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clearing customs at IAD in DC

Unless you use a Global Entry kiosk and do not have checked luggage, 1.5 hours is not a good bet.

Plattsburgh, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clearing customs at IAD in DC

Thanks for all the help. We decided to fly out of Montreal- it's a direct flight. It used to be so easy to from Montreal but now they are so "diligent" at the border that it can take up to an hour to get through. I think it still beats trying to make connecting flights

7. Re: Clearing customs at IAD in DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2014, 05:18