We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help planning itinerary.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,478 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Help planning itinerary.

Hello all.

I'm planning a 2-day getaway to DC with my mother and sister, and I would like some help putting an itinerary together to make the best of our little trip. We arrive this Friday, stay at the Club Quarters hotel, and leave Saturday. I will be driving. This is what I have so far:

Friday: arrive around noon, have a light lunch (suggestions are much appreciated), abandon the car -if it's not necessary to get to the sites-, check-in at the hotel, visit a site or 2, then dinner.

Saturday: breakfast (suggestions are much appreciated), off to see more sites, then early dinner before heading back to PA.

We want see the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument and the reflective pool, and of course, the White House. We won't be visiting the museums on this trip beings that it's Labor Day weekend and I'm assuming the lines will be long. We also want to visit the Georgetown Cupcake store.

Here are my questions:

In which order should we visit the sites would make more sense, and make the most out of our short visit?

Should we drive or use public transportation? If public transportation is the way to go, could you provide information on the best methods (train, bus, and which ones)?

The Georgetown Cupcake store... What time is best to visit (when the lines aren't too long)? If the line is always long, we'll settle for ordering in advance.

Any not crazy-expensive restaurant suggestions for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Sorry for all the questions. Thank you in advance.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,378 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help planning itinerary.

From your location at the Club Quarters in DC at 17th and I Streets, your best transportation option is your own feet. You are only a couple blocks from the White House and a few more blocks from the Washington Monument.

If you don't need a sit-d0wn and be waiting on breakfast, but still cooked to order, I would recommend the Paul Bakery just over a block away on Connecticut Avenue. Really good stuff that you order at the counter and they bring it out to you when it is ready. paul-usa.com/shop/…PAUL-Farragut-North_382

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
151 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help planning itinerary.

In which order should we visit the sites would make more sense, and make the most out of our short visit?

--They're all kind of like ducks in a row. I might suggest starting at Georgetown Cupcakes since it's the furthest west and will be less crowded on Friday, plus it allows you to get your light lunch in over there where there are plenty of places. You could then walk south across the Canal to the water and follow the water south to the Lincoln Memorial (you'll pass the Georgetown waterfront, Watergate Hotel, Kennedy Ctr, etc). Once you get there, then you can decide if you want to do more or not that day.

Should we drive or use public transportation? If public transportation is the way to go, could you provide information on the best methods (train, bus, and which ones)?

--Walking is your best bet in my opinion. You could also take the Circulator bus to Georgetown or over to Union Station/Capitol (hard to miss--red and yellow busses: http://www.dccirculator.com/Home/BusRoutesandSchedules/CirculatorRouteMap.aspx) for $1 each way to different stops if you want. Or you could take Metro (www.wmata.com). Cabs aren't worth it for such short distances imo. And pedicabs (bike cabs) are very expensive.

The Georgetown Cupcake store... What time is best to visit (when the lines aren't too long)? If the line is always long, we'll settle for ordering in advance.

--Tough because it's a holiday weekend so there will be even more people. Right when they open or near closing are your best bets.

Any not crazy-expensive restaurant suggestions for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

--Don't know your definition of not crazy-expensive. I would call Mini Bar crazy expensive. But you may feel otherwise. For good food at a decent price try Founding Farmers (make a reservation in advance and check out their menu to see if the pricing seems right).

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,478 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help planning itinerary.

Thank you both so much! This information is exactly what I need. Thank you!!!

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,478 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help planning itinerary.

Hello again!

Just came back from my little trip to DC, and had a fantastic time thanks to your recommendations. They were all great.

The Paul Bakery was nice (the service was really bad though). But the food was good and the location couldn't be better.

The Circulator to Georgetown is awesome. It dropped us off just 3 blocks from the cupcake store, and just a block from our hotel. I still can't believe it was just $1 per person.

The cupcake store experience was great. Went twice, and there was a line both times, but it moved pretty fast on both occasions.

The hotel... I must say wow... Just wow! Upgraded to the large suite (for only $25!). The room was very nice, the service was great, parking is only $20 per day/24 hours, and the location is perfect: just 2 blocks from the White House.

Had a great time, absolutely fell in love with DC (I'm actually considering looking for work there).

Thanks all for your helpful suggestions!

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help planning itinerary.

Glad you enjoyed it. I'll be in DC next weekend for yet another trip albeit much too short...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,378 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help planning itinerary.

It is good to hear you had a great visit to DC. And that TA could help you plan. Yes, Paul has some amateurs among the staff. But I like the food. We had lunch there on Saturday.

7. Re: Help planning itinerary.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2014, 06:21