We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to avoid traffic to DC on 95 North from NC

North Carolina
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
How to avoid traffic to DC on 95 North from NC

Hello,

We are planning to take a trip to DC this Friday afternoon from Raleigh of NC. I heard the traffic on

95 North is bumper to bumper between Richmond and DC. Is there any other alternate route that we can use in this case to avoid the traffic? Our destination is Vienna of VA.

Thank you for your advice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to avoid traffic to DC on 95 North from NC

US route 1 runs parallel to I-95. (It's the road that was there before they built the interstates.) It's a normal road with lots of traffic lights so will only be faster if I-95 is truly terrible.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to avoid traffic to DC on 95 North from NC

Thank you for your information.

so, is #1 considered a local road with single lane or double lanes in this case?

I guess we should still be taking Interstate 95 if just for the slow traffic, am I right?

Again, thank you for your time.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,377 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to avoid traffic to DC on 95 North from NC

If time is important, then I-95 is probably the best choice, no matter what. Route 1 is the old main road, so it is mostly 4 lanes, but it has traffic lights and goes through towns along the way. It could well take longer than dealing with the traffic on I-95.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to avoid traffic to DC on 95 North from NC

95 is probably best. Unless you aren't moving AT ALL...meaning it takes you an hour to move a mile....then get off and take 1. Double lanes (triple lanes primarily for turning) the whole way.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How to avoid traffic to DC on 95 North from NC

Thank you all for the information and I will stick with 95 unless not moving..

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
151 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to avoid traffic to DC on 95 North from NC

Depends on where you are starting from in NC, but from Richmond, you will be hard-pressed to find a faster route.

Past Richmond, you could deviate in Fredericksburg and take 17 up to 29 to 66 and then take 66 in east, but I would be surprised if it saved you much time unless there was an accident. The real trick to beating 95 is simply being on it when no one else is (11pm-5am ish).

I wouldn't advise getting off on Rt 1 unless it's really bad and you know Rt 1 is better. Often when it gets bad, tons of other people do the same thing and then Rt 1 just ends up backed up too.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to avoid traffic to DC on 95 North from NC

If you are coming north on I95 on a Friday afternoon - more traffic will be heading south than north. However, given that this is Labor Day weekend, there may be more northbound than normal.

We have tried various alternative routes to get by DC when coming back from NC beaches to Columbia, MD (between DC & Baltimore) on a Sunday. We have found that sticking with I95, even with stop and go traffic, is faster than any other route we have taken. Faster, but not more pleasant. We have taken 301 as a much more pleasant drive until you get to the Waldorf area where there are lots of lights. Route 1 is a lot of lights and I would not advise it unless there is an accident on I95 that has traffic stopped.

8. Re: How to avoid traffic to DC on 95 North from NC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2014, 05:18