We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road closures / Travel restrictions on 9/11

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gold Canyon, Arizona
Level Contributor
178 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Road closures / Travel restrictions on 9/11

Being a travel agent for many years, I have always found it best to rely on the readers and contributors of Tripadvisor for the very best in advice! So here goes...

Urgently searching for reliable information regarding the two demonstrations that are supposedly scheduled for Washington D.C. on September 11th. I have heard about a "Million Muslim March" (now called by another name) and a huge biker demonstration same day.

We will be traveling with a group of 30 Veterans and their guardians that day--visiting all of the major military sites including Changing of the Guard at Arlington. This is a three day trip and 9/11 is our only full day in Washington, D.C., so we can't switch our visit to another day.

Any word on who we should contact regarding street closures and restrictions would be sincerely appreciated!

Our plans for the trip were completed long before we (recently) heard of these events.

In advance, and once again, many thanks!

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road closures / Travel restrictions on 9/11

No news or mention at all of anything like that in DC - and a little googling shows it seems like a lot of hot air. You can probably check to see if any march permits have been issued. I'm actually not sure who issues permits - but should be easy enough to investigate. I would not worry about it.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,748 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road closures / Travel restrictions on 9/11

I wouldn't worry about it, there are demonstrations all the time in Washington and the town knows how to deal with them. If there are street closures involved they will be announced closer to the event.

I looked up the "Million Mulsim March", it's been renamed the "Million American March Against Fear" and their Facebook page has 155 "likes". To me that's one indication that there might not be quite 1 million people involved. :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road closures / Travel restrictions on 9/11

Uh, it's news to me. Clearly not something like an Inauguration where one does have to plan around closures. Arlington Cemetery is in Va anyway.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road closures / Travel restrictions on 9/11

Today they closed many blocks of Pennsylvania Avenue for a volleyball tournament. People just took other routes around the closures. It may have inconvenienced some folks by as many as 7 or 8 minutes.

I'd be shocked if either of the events you describe had any meaningful impact on traffic or other events. DC has gotten very good at containing disruptions from large events.

Arlington...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Road closures / Travel restrictions on 9/11

Most of the closures will be in Arlington, especially around the Pentagon. There is a huge 9/11 motorcycle event occurring tomorrow night starting at 5 pm in Falls church and going to the pentagon before heading south. Otherwise, expect delays around the cemetery for special events and pedestrian traffic.

You can always check the DC govt website for updates. Hope this helps

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road closures / Travel restrictions on 9/11

The Washington Post also has a handy blog written by "Dr. Gridlock" on road closers, public transportation issues, etc... It can be found at: www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dr-gridlock/

dctravel

7. Re: Road closures / Travel restrictions on 9/11

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 07:18