We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One full day in DC....what is must do?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
483 posts
Save Topic
One full day in DC....what is must do?

Hi there,

We are travelling to Baltimore his Thursday, for an orioles game...from NY.

Will stay he night in Baltimore. Plan to leave early Friday am for DC.

Will have one full day in DC. What is a must do? I also heard a lot of the attractions are free?

Never been to DC before....please help.

We may end up staying in DC on Friday night...not sure yet....thanks.

There are 3 adults and 2 boys ages 8 & 9. Thanks

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,849 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One full day in DC....what is must do?

One person's "must do" is another person's "must avoid"; it all depends on your interests. And with 2 young boys, thing they would enjoy too. I would certainly start with touring some of the iconic monuments and memorials of DC. And maybe drop into the American History Museum to look at the Star Spangled Banner and a couple of other things. And maybe a quick visit to the Air & Space Museum. All those things are on The Mall.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
483 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One full day in DC....what is must do?

Having never been to DC, what is the mall? I understand it is the busiest part of DC and has historical buildings and museums. I am sure this mall area is big....is there car traffic going thru or maybe bus tours or is it all walking? Thanks

texas
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One full day in DC....what is must do?

nps.gov/PWR/…NPS-Map-Washington-DC.pdf

If you look at that map, the blue area is the area with all the Monuments and Smithsonians. Between the Lincoln Memorial, then past Washington Monument, then to the Congress, you will see all that area is called the National Mall.You walk it.There are streets around it though and going through at parts.

texas
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One full day in DC....what is must do?

Don't quote me but I think it is 2 miles long. we walked it with grandkids, 6 and 12.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,849 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One full day in DC....what is must do?

Yes, it is just under 2 miles from the US Capitol Building to the Lincoln Memorial. Walking is one of the best ways to tour. The buses are a waste of money. There are streets, but parking can be a challenge.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One full day in DC....what is must do?

Visit the National Museum of the American Indian. Also the Natural History Smithsonian is good. You have to pay but the Newseum and the Museum of Crime and Punishment are also good for kids. You might wanna take picture with the Washington Monument, Whitehouse and capital.

Williamston...
Level Contributor
822 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One full day in DC....what is must do?

One day is not much, but if that's all you got, it's still possible to get a taste. I would concentrate your efforts initially on the Smithsonian Museums, since they're only open until 5:30pm. You can save the outside stuff like the monuments until later. With boys that age, I'd recommend the Museum of American History , the Museum of Natural History, and the Air and Space Museum. If you can get to DC and commence your visit around 9am, then you could shoot some pics of the Capitol before the museums open up at 10am. Then start with the Air and Space Museum for 2 hours. Yes, it will be hard to tear yourself away, so decide ahead of time what you want to see and pace yourself. Between 12 and 1, have lunch and make your way across the Mall to the Natural History Museum, about a 15 min walk away from Air and Space. Spend 2 hours there and walk 5 min next door to the American History Museum. Stay there til closing. At 5:30pm, make your way to the White House for some photo opportunities in front of the south lawn. Then head back down to the Mall, walk past the Washington Monument, thru the WW2 Memorial, and continue to the Lincoln Memorial. Make a quick trip over to the Vietnam War Memorial, then over to the Korean War Memorial. Cross over to the Tidal Basin and catch the MLK Memorial. From there, you can look across to the Jefferson Memorial. Afraid there's probably not enough time for you to actually walk over there. If you do end up spending the night, then maybe you could. If you got time in the morning, you could check out either Ford's Theatre or the National Archives or Arlington National Cemetary. Obviously more to see in this city and more time could spent at the museums, but that's what I'd consider the "musts" that are possible in that short a time. And except for Ford's Theatre, everything is free.

Cambs
Level Contributor
180 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One full day in DC....what is must do?

We went to Washington for the day while we were on holiday in New York. We had the most fantastic day. We got the big bus tour which was absolutely great, we saw much more than we would have done if we had walked round. There was no problem with the queues for the buses, or the waiting times.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One full day in DC....what is must do?

Just so you know, in the summer some museums including Air and Space, American History and Natural History close at 7:30 so you have a little more time

Williamston...
Level Contributor
822 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One full day in DC....what is must do?

Unfortunately the extended summer hours ended on Labor Day. But it is definitely an advantage of visiting during the summer. One thing I forgot to suggest is that since it appears you are driving in, you should park your car at a garage and walk to these sites on the Mall. Trying to find convenient parking is time consuming and almost impossible. In some cases, nearby parking is simply non-existent.