We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP to plan a trip for a Girl Scout Trip....13+ people

Snellville, Georgia
8 posts
Save Topic
HELP to plan a trip for a Girl Scout Trip....13+ people

I need the experts help! We are a GS troop of 11, with about 6 additional parents. We are planning on visiting DC June 5-10 2014. We are of course wanting to visit everything we can. We need help finding a hotel that will sleep 11. In other cities it is possible to find a room that sleeps 6, adjoining to another that sleeps 6...well, from what I can find, DC only sleeps 4-5. We are willing to stay wherever we need to, to accomodate us. The additional parents can get other rooms, but we NEED the arrangment listed above. If staying outside of the dc area, we only ask for it to be a short walking distance to the metro, and in a safe place. I have contacted several rental places through trip advisor, but havent gotten any responses and don't know where safe is or isn't. I believe the metro card that's good for 7 days will be of our best benefit, so that we can come and go as we wish. It would probably be a bit of a waist, but still affordable enough to budget in.

Finally, as for pricing, I would like to keep our room 100-200/night.

Please help me make this trip fun, educational and memorable...safely and cheaply.

Snellville, Georgia
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP to plan a trip for a Girl Scout Trip....13+ people

I left somethings out....

we will be driving in. we do not want to drive around, but be within easy walking distance to metro, etc.

the 4h center is off limits. It is expensive and does not accomodate our group.

I do NOT want to sleep in seperate rooms unless and until it the THE only option. (adjoining rooms are fine, but must be 1 set (2 rooms) to sleep 11)

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP to plan a trip for a Girl Scout Trip....13+ people

Hi Molly-

You're asking for a lot for under $200/night since what you want probably requires a suite configuration. That said, you could try the courtyard Marriott in Chinatown, or the courtyard in Courthouse in Arlington. Rosslyn, courthouse, and Ballston are all are safe areas in Arlington that have a concentration of hotels that are near the Metro if you want to look for options outside the city.

I know the Beacon Hotel in DC has a room configuration where the last three rooms at the end of the hall can be closed by a single door, allowing the rooms to be open to one another in a private vestibule, but I bet the rate for during the week and in June may be too expensive. But perhaps, if you are booking more rooms for the parents as well they will give you a group discount ... Which I know they offer for large groups like weddings. It is south of Dupont Circle, accessible to both the red line and orange/blue Metros.

Regarding metro, the seven day pass is probably the easiest option. But if you did some research and can estimate your trips, it may be more cost effective to order SmartTrip cards online before your trip. They can be shipped to you for $5 with $5 of value, and more can be added as needed. They can also be used on the buses with transfers reduced from the Metro.

Snellville, Georgia
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP to plan a trip for a Girl Scout Trip....13+ people

what a great help! got any itinerary help you wanna give? (big smile)

do you have any opinions on rental homesthrough trip advisor?

I have heard back from a few since the original post and one works out to be like $58 a night accommodating everyone including moms.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,285 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP to plan a trip for a Girl Scout Trip....13+ people

Any place that is only $58 a night is probably not something you want. That is way too low for any convenient accommodation in the DC area unless it is very out of the way or in an area with nothing for a tourist. Get an address and come back here for help. Remember there are scams out there. One red flag is if they ask for money to be wired. That is almost certain to be a scam.

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP to plan a trip for a Girl Scout Trip....13+ people

Check these out

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p342748

homeaway.com/vacation-rental/…summary (one of the reviews is from a girl scout troup)

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p428059vb

http://www.vrbo.com/444938#

http://www.vrbo.com/431637#

Snellville, Georgia
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP to plan a trip for a Girl Scout Trip....13+ people

I cannot believe the generosity that i have received here! If you are doing this without pay i applaud you! I thank you for your help! I have emailed several of the places recommended, and will of course accept any additional insights!

Snellville, Georgia
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP to plan a trip for a Girl Scout Trip....13+ people

We have almost found a place for us ALL to stay. I wanted to hear your opinion on the Fort Totten area, well, "about a mile from" it says.

Snellville, Georgia
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP to plan a trip for a Girl Scout Trip....13+ people

Also, what about the Georgia Avenue Metro Station area?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP to plan a trip for a Girl Scout Trip....13+ people

Georgia Ave station is the Petworth neighborhood. It's not a terrible area but it definitely has its share of crime. I would only recommend it if you have very good street smarts when it comes to inner city neighborhoods. No offense but I doubt a group of Girl Scouts are going to be particularly street smart.

As for "about a mile from Fort Totten" that is too vague to say how good the area is or not. But having to walk a mile for transportation sounds like a good way to make your trip terribly inconvenient, no matter the quality of the neighborhood.

Edited: 10 September 2013, 20:45
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP to plan a trip for a Girl Scout Trip....13+ people

Let me clarify: if the place is describing itself as "about a mile from Fort Totten" then that means the Fort Totten station is probably the closest metro station. If some other station was more convenient, they would have mentioned it, most likely.

I doubt you consider a mile to be close walking distance.