We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel options in Washington DC

Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel options in Washington DC

My wife and I will be heading to Washington DC in mid October. We will be catching an Amtrak train from NYC Penn Station through. We have never been to Washington before and want to choose a hotel which is centrally located and relatively close or provides a transfer to the Amtrak station. Will the Holiday Inn Capital work and can anyone recommend other affordable alternatives?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,420 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel options in Washington DC

The Holiday Inn Capitol is not all that close to Union Station in DC. And the area of that hotel is a dead zone when the offices are closed. It is not a hotel I would recommend.

As is pointed out in one of the Top Questions (upper right on this page), you need to provide exact dates, what kind of bed configuration you want and what your daily budget for the room is. Then it is easier for people to provide ideas. There are many hotels that will work for you.

Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel options in Washington DC

Thanks for this feedback. We will be in Washington DC on the 19th and 20th of October 2013. The room is just for my wife and I, so we would like a King, Queen or double bed. Our daily budget is around $200 to $250 for accommodation. Thanks

texas
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel options in Washington DC

Amtrak will come in to Union Station, that is also home to the subway, so unless you are traveling with a bunch of luggage, which you probably wont with a 2 day stay, you can go anywhere on subway once you get there. Have a great time.I got back yesterday and I love DC. Also used Amtrak but I get off at the Alexandria station since coming from Richmond.But have gone into Union station once.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel options in Washington DC

I know of no hotel that provides a shuttle from Union Station but, as noted, there is Metro rail, and, also, lots of taxis. The Phoenix Park Hotel is almost across the street (only seen it from the outside), but I wouldn't worry about how close the hotel is to Union Station. Holiday Inn Capitol is in Southwest, and is not, as noted, all that close to Union Station. I worked at a Federal government office in the same building as the HI, and I think it took me 20 mins. or so, walking briskly (without luggage). It's close to some museums, including the Air & Space Museum, and near two Metro stations, but is in an area that is (or at least was in 2004, when I last worked there) rather dead at night.

You'll need to check hotel prices. Lots of Web sites to help you with that. On return visits to DC we usually stayed over in Rosslyn, but friends stayed at the L'Enfant Plaza Hotel and liked it. There are also many hotels downtown nearer to restaurants, stores, etc.

Edited: 11 September 2013, 23:26
portland or
Level Contributor
212 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel options in Washington DC

Chk out Marriott Fairfield on H avenue by Chinatown metro stop. We booked for $89nt in Dec and it seems close to everything. Also read good things for JW Marriott right in center of it all,and Hampton Inn.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,420 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel options in Washington DC

That would be the Fairfield Inn and Suites at 500 H Street NW, in the Gallery Place/Chinatown area. A good location for a tourist. But prices vary a lot and that low price is because hotels are generally cheaper in December. In October prices tend to be higher. (You do not want to be at the other Fairfield Inn out in NE.)

Edited: 12 September 2013, 18:03
Birmingham, Alabama
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel options in Washington DC

Hilton Garden Inn Downtown in a good location, across the street from the McPherson Square metro station. It is close to the White House, museums, etc. $229 a night for that time.

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel options in Washington DC

Sorry to jump in here , but do I understand correctly that You dont recommend Capitol Hill area hotels because there are to many offices and its kind of nothing there in the evenings ?

Would You rather recommend the Downtown area ? I have been recommended not to pick the Downtown area because of the reason already above from friends now ; i am confused

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,420 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel options in Washington DC

Downtown DC can be quite lively, depending on exactly where you go. The area around the Gallery Place/Chinatown Metro station which includes Penn Quarter, is full of restaurants, bars and other entertainment. The SW area just off The Mall is nothing but offices and several hotels. No evening activity. But it also isn't what most people would call "downtown" or "Capitol Hill". Capitol Hill encompasses a wide area. Several hotels claim to be there that really aren't. You have to be specific about what hotels you are looking at for good advice. The hotels behind Union Station are really in NoMa, not Capitol Hill, for instance.

Edited: 14 September 2013, 16:58
Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel options in Washington DC

Thank You for clearing that up

Now I am looking at dropping Capitol Hill we looked at the Hyatt Regenize there , but now looking at the Dupont circel /National zoo we are brining two children from the 16-18 th of October ,might be from the 15 th , but we will end our trip in Washington DC when we go back to Denmark the 18 th :-)