We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions for Washington trip in Oct.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Questions for Washington trip in Oct.

Hello all. I've been reading through the forums to try to plan our trip to Washington DC in October and have the first, of what I'm sure will be many, questions.

Questions:

1. I've already called my Congressman's office and the intern I spoke with has put in request for a White House, Capitol and B. Engraving and Printing tours. I didn't request specific dates because she said there's a better chance if we just give her the dates we'll be there and she'll contact us in about a week or so. Are there any other sights that might need to be arranged through our Congressman?

2. Has anyone been on the Spirit of Washington cruise to Mt. Vernon? Was it fun, relaxing, worth it?

3. On Monday, Oct. 2nd, we'll arriving at around 2pm. We have to drop our car rental off at the Reagan International Airport and then we'll catch a cab to the Capital Hilton. The park services offer tickets for the Washington monument up until 4:30pm that day. Do you thing that we'll have enough time to do all the above and then make it to the Monument in time for the tickets? Or should I just try seeing the other Monuments and Memorials at night and try to catch the Washington Monument the next day?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I won't be able to make an itinerary until I find out if and when we hear about times and dates from our Congressman. I'm sure I'll

have tons more questions then.

Thank you in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
White House
White House
6,854 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Spirit of Washington
Spirit of Washington
362 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Capital Hilton
Capital Hilton
3,347 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington Monument
Washington Monument
8,154 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
838 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions for Washington trip in Oct.

Hi jggillette,

1.The bigest problem I had setting up the vip tours with my congressmans office is that I never got the same intern twice. Some were more helpfull than others. I would try calling back and hope you get one who has been there more than a week.

We also got tickets to the Library of Congress which I highly recomend. You will be in a group with a guide who will explain things to you instead of wandering around by yourself.

BEP was great too. But for some reason our request for the WH was lost.

2.Did not have time to go to Mt. Vernon. Maybe next time.

3.Us and 500 of our closest friends were standing in line at the Washington Momument at 7:30 waiting for the ticket booth to open. The line kept growing before it opened at 8:00. We finally left the line because of a 8:30 tour at BEP. When we went back at 10:00 there were sold out. You can buy the tickets on line at http://reservations.nps.gov. It does cost $2.00 but at least you know you are going and when.

Enjoy your trip. And remember the Metro. It is the easiest and best way to get around town.

Mentioned in this post
Library of Congress
Library of Congress
7,906 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions for Washington trip in Oct.

Forgot to mention. In the third question we'll already have tickets to the Washington Monument. We're planning on getting those online. I need the information so I decide whether I get the for the day we arrive or the next day.

Mentioned in this post
Washington Monument
Washington Monument
8,154 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions for Washington trip in Oct.

I myself would postpone the visit to the Washington Monument 'til the next day 'cause feeling under the gun is not my idea of a fun way to start a vacation, and flying nowadays is not so flawless that I'd feel comfortable assuming we'd actually stepping onto the tarmac at DCA at 2 PM ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Washington Monument
Washington Monument
8,154 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions for Washington trip in Oct.

We're actually driving in but I think you're right we should postpone the Washington Monument until later. I'm sure it'll make me feel a little more relaxed on the drive there if I'm not rushing trying to make a deadline. I'll wait until I hear about the Capitol, W/H and BP&E before I make other plans (if I can be that patient) for the Monument.

Mentioned in this post
Washington Monument
Washington Monument
8,154 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Elyria, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions for Washington trip in Oct.

We rode the boat to Mount Vernon. Great way to get there, without all the hassle. One price at the dock covers the ride to and from, plus admission to Mount Vernon. I would encourage you to take some time for yourself and enjoy the visit to Mount Vernon via the Potomac.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions for Washington trip in Oct.

Thanks to all for the help.

Does anyone know if there are any other sights that should be arranged through our congressman? Are there any, besides the ones listed, that he could set up for us before we get there?

Has anyone stayed at the Capitol Hilton who can comment on that hotel? And why are the hotel rates for the time (Oct 2nd thru the 8th) so high? I guess I was lucky to get mine for around $150 a night considering rates for that time period now.

Again. Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'm going to have a ton more as I start planning my itinerary.

Mentioned in this post
Capital Hilton
Capital Hilton
3,347 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
7. Re: Questions for Washington trip in Oct.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 05:24