We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nites with kids. DC 'hood with choice of cafes, coffee/etc

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Topic
2 nites with kids. DC 'hood with choice of cafes, coffee/etc

used to live in No VA but that was nearly 15 years ago. going to be in DC with my sons (8 and 10) and wife on this coming Thurs/Friday nights.

what is a good District neighborhood/street to stay in for a good selection of cafes (not too fancy), coffee shops and/or a nice ice cream/dessert place, maybe a bar where mommy and daddy can have a couple beers in the evening (outside if weather permits) after visiting Museums. bonus points for cool architecture, people watching and some window shopping. ie - a fun area to stroll in evenings after doing the tourist thing

I remember Dupont being lively but maybe too hectic, up Cleveland/Woodley way being cute and more neighborhoody. At that time (approx 1999/2000), Capital Hill was still spotty but coming on. and the Market was fun on Saturday AM.

Access to Metro is key. Any ideas?

Cheers

brendan

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,613 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nites with kids. DC 'hood with choice of cafes, coffee/etc

Dupont Circle would still be the neighborhood I would recommend. It doesn't seem hectic to me. There are no hotels in the Cleveland Park neighborhood, but there are two hotels in Woodley Park. Both are large convention hotels, but quite nice. They are the Omni Shoreham and the Marriott Wardman Park. Metro station is close to both.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
236 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nites with kids. DC 'hood with choice of cafes, coffee/etc

If you stay in the Logan Circle area (Donovan House hotel, for example) then you are right in the neighborhood for all of the restaurants and cafes on 14th Street. Since you left Washington, DC the strip along 14th Street that runs all the way up to U Street just filled up with hot new restaurants and shops..

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nites with kids. DC 'hood with choice of cafes, coffee/etc

Columbia Heights. Ticks all your boxes.

NC
Level Contributor
229 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nites with kids. DC 'hood with choice of cafes, coffee/etc

Thanks for the feedback. We love DuPont; always had fun there. I meant "hectic" at the Circle itself. In terms of traffic whizzing around etc. Maybe less conducive to little kids right at the Circle.

But I do remember heading up 17th and 18th (up around R where we spent many nights at Lauriol Plaza sitting out, Townhouse Tavern, etc.) being a little calmer and with terraces/cafes, mix of apartment houses and commerce, etc.

I recall Connecticut having a lot of food and Bistro du Coin up Conn Ave was a favorite back in the day. Seemed a bit tamer up that way, I want the kids to experience the City, know they in a city but also stroll the neighborhoods, see the brownstones, etc. But probably less in the way of accommodations once you get off the Circle.

I know the Metro is accessible (and a quick ride) so thats not an issue but kind of felt Columbia Hts/Adams Morgan was a little more hit/or/miss block to block last time I was there. Spent a lot of time out that way when I was younger; will give a look-see. Probably changed a lot since the late 90's.

Agreed on Cleveland with lack of places to stay. I just really remember liking the feel of a little village feel within a larger city (up Conn, around Macomb/Nanny Obrien pub, etc)

Cheers

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nites with kids. DC 'hood with choice of cafes, coffee/etc

15 years ago this was a completely different city. Here is some valid info. on Columbia Heights today. (I have no connection to the realtor who made the youtube video- it is just a great overview of my neighborhood.)

nytimes.com/slideshow/…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za-s2ap_9rc

NC
Level Contributor
229 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 nites with kids. DC 'hood with choice of cafes, coffee/etc

thanks, Victoria. I was gonna say, I dont even know that there was a Metro stop there last time I visited. Appreciate the info. looks like fun!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 nites with kids. DC 'hood with choice of cafes, coffee/etc

The Columbia Heights station only opened in September of 1999 so yes, it is relatively new.

NC
Level Contributor
229 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 nites with kids. DC 'hood with choice of cafes, coffee/etc

gotcha. looks nice. gives us another option. thanks

9. Re: 2 nites with kids. DC 'hood with choice of cafes, coffee/etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2014, 06:19